Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Where is main.xml

Bill007

Total Posts:  179
New Zealand

I have no main.xml in /frontend/my_interface/my_theme/layout/ is this now page.xml

I am wanting to make changes to the to the left and right columns

all so is there a list of side bar widgets

Bill007

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Hi Bill007,

main.xml is splitted to separate files since the last release in order to give more flexibility for custom module and design developers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

But where is it and whats are they called

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

Ok Maybe Im phrasing my questions wrong and or I am a bit slow

I for the life of me cannot find the file that calls all these xml files from the layout folder to action

Please point me in the right direction

A lot of the examples and references in the wiki and Guide point to main.xml which is not Exsisting

Thanks for your Help in advance

Regards Bill Bailey

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

Sweeet As

I see that all the files in the layout folder make up the page depending on how the xml modules are called via the <reference name tag>

So if I make layout changes this is where its done hence the folder name dahhh

EG If I want to change this to the left hand column I would change the <reference name tag>

<default>

<!-- Mage_Newsletter -->
<reference name="right">
<block type="newsletter/subscribe" name="right.newsletter" template="newsletter/subscribe.phtml"/>
</reference>

</default>

Bill007

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

Ok Ill Finish this myself

Also any body who does fix something post it for all of our sakes this fourum will work so much better we are the beta testers lets do our bit and help get this open source project rocketing

For All of you that have yet to struggle and for those of who have struggled with wrapping you head around the template engine{ I have been one of those people} here are some handy hints from my perspective Oh and its great once you get it Nice one Magento

This info could have saved 3 hours alone the caching system works great in fact to great because any changes with this Cache system enabled will not show the changes in the layout .xml file that you have uploaded also hitting ctrl f5 does not clear the cache

Step One Turn off all Caching in your demo store >>system>>cache management
Step Two Disable all cache controls except Configuration
Step Three Check Mark Refresh Cache

SAVE SETTINGS

Now the Second bit I had trouble (could’ve save 5 hours here )with was where is MAIN.XML god I looked for ages, its mentioned through out all the wiki posts and old forum posts that were searched from the forum {catch 22 searching and getting info about the old file naming} <?php $ *{naughty Magento on the wiki post those should be updated straight away thats a red hearing}

So forget main.xml it lives no more what magento have done is clever but at the same confusing

If you Want to change the position of things for Example the newsletter widget on the home page take it from the default of the right hand column position over to the New left hand Column position

OK HERE IT IS

Go straight to app/design/frontend/your_interface/your_theme/layout/newsletter.xml

Here it is

Look below and find the code that looks like this <reference name="right"> there are two instance in Newsletter.xml

Now change the code to <reference name="left">

Upload and review your browser hit CTRL F5

I bet you see the changes

<layout version="0.1.0">

<!--
layoutloads most of the pages
-->

<default>

<!-- 
Mage_Newsletter -->
        <
reference name="right">
            <
block type="newsletter/subscribe" name="right.newsletter" template="newsletter/subscribe.phtml"/>
        </
reference>

</default>

<!--
Customer account pagesrendered for all tabs in dashboard
-->

<
customer_account>
        <!-- 
Mage_Newsletter -->
        <
reference name="customer_account_navigation">
            <
action method="addLink" translate="label"><name>newsletter</name><path>newsletter/manage/</path><label>Newsletter Subscriptions</label></action>
        </
reference>
    </
customer_account>

<
customer_account_index>

<
reference name="right">
            <
action method="unsetChild"><name>right.newsletter</name></action>
        </
reference>
    </
customer_account_index>

<
newsletter_manage_index>
        <
update handle="customer_account"/>
        <
reference name="content">
            <
block type="customer/newsletter" name="customer_newsletter"/>
        </
reference>
    </
newsletter_manage_index>

</
layout>

I do hope this is useful

Magento I do Like what you are doing All round I think you will do real well your web presence is shaping up nicely

All so the webinars are real good

http://www.billbailey.co.nz Life is about People and the way we Treat them

Magento Community
Magento Community

ashanholt

Total Posts:  33

Yes, the references to main.xml confused me, too. Especially because in the Design Tutorial you don’t change every reference to your links in there… now you have to change references in XML files all over the place just to arrange your links on one line. More flexible, sure, but also kind of a pain.

Note that on a Mac (Safari) it’s not CTRL F5, it’s Command-R. To refresh a page. And yeah, turn off the cache while designing - I suspect that should be turned off by default, letting users turn it on only once they’ve gotten that far in their understanding of Magento. MIght save some folks hours of confusion!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

Kia Ora Raymond Brigleb

Do you Have any little tips or easy ways of explaining layout

I am in the process of making a SEO friendly Nav bar for the side column
essential for web shop survival will post when done

Thanks for the Comment

Bill007 http://www.euphorish.com free code and Design