Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Implementing GST

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

I’m using Chris’s excellent Australian Extension, but having trouble setting up GST in my store.

Most of the good I sell do not attract GST (food), but some do and all shipping does.
But I cannot work out what I have to do to trigger the application of GST to the appropriate items and shipping.

I’ve got as far as having a tax line appear on the shopping cart and invoice, but it always reads zero.

Could someone step me through the process of implementing the GST?

Many thanks

Neil

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Actually - I think I have this worked out - after playing around with Tax Rules for a bit longer…
I’ll need to test it some more to be sure, but it’s looking good.

But still interested in finding someone in Oz who will perhaps do some paid simple customising for me…

Neil

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

I do have another question relating to the GST:

As it stands, the standard emailed invoice from Magento (with the Australian extension), does not include the words ‘Tax Invoice’ which I understand is required under our laws.

I guess it’s possible to simply hack the email template(s), but I would love a more elegant solution…

Cheers

Neil

Magento Community
Magento Community

Joshua Barrie

Total Posts:  52

Hi Neil,

I looked through the admin to change the templates, but no success. It is very simple just to change it yourself by editing the files.

There located in

app/locale/en_US/template/email/sales
Invoice ones are in ithe sales folder.

Thanks,
Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

lriver

Total Posts:  27

I found the easiest way to add “tax invoice” and customize the emails was by following this article

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/so_you_want_a_real_store_and_not_a_demo

open the SQL document that is attached and edit the details ie phone number ect.  then do a search and replace of Invoice with tax invoice

then using phpmyadmin or something similar run the quey on your database.  works like a charm.  Add your phone number and details to all the emails in about 10 minutes!  (don’t forget to assign the new emails) all in the article.

I am not real familiar with MySql and phpMyadmin so I did a test query on another database first.

Hope this helps grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Joshua Barrie

Total Posts:  52

Good one!

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Just an update:

I’ve got the GST being applied as I need, and I’ve edited the email templates for invoices to comply with our Australian requirements for Tax Invoices (as mentioned here: http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/50913.htm&page;=1#P38_2053 and in this pdf:
http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/n11675.pdf)

But there is one factor missing on the email invoices: the date of issue.

Does anyone know of how to insert the date the invoice is issued in the email template?

The PDF invoices are the next project…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Roland Quast

Total Posts:  19

Just a tip with the tax invoice stuff…

What I did with the email templates was to put a link to the printable invoice on the website rather than put the tax invoice in the email, same with the order details.

This way if you want to change the printable invoice on the website to say “Tax Invoice” etc, with the date of the invoice etc, you only have to extend 1 file (the printable invoice display code).

I tried to get tax invoice working with the tax invoice date on the email, but that required extending the order object, which is a real pain when it comes to upgrading.

Apart from that, I also modified the translation csv files to say Inc. GST where it says Inc. Tax etc… this also made things more simple.

Hope this helps some people out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gibbo_oz

Total Posts:  6

Just a small comment regarding calculating GST and then users entering into orders into an accounting programme. You need to ensure that the method is consistant with how the accounting programme will be doing it, or you will have Magento out of synch with it. the older versions of QuickBooks actually got different answers depending on whether you were adding 10% or taking 1/11th - the new one currently does not work with the SDK so have not done much work - but do know they now have only one way - and they calculate the GST, you do not specify the amount. MYOB gets the same GST both ways - but you have to calculate GST on a line-by line basis and they actually work in different ways todepending on which way you are going in order to get the same answer.  MYOB actually likes to round it on the total invoice, but that just gets silly - stick to line-by-line if looking at importing orders. There are a multitude of “correct” ways to calculate GST - all acceptable to the ATO but not necessarily able to be replicated in an accounting programme.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Leapfrog

Total Posts:  8
Australia SA

Hi All,

For the time being I added the words “Tax Invoice” to the printed PDF by adding the following to the invoice.php file (\app\code\core\Mage\Sales\Model\Order\Pdf\)

$order $invoice->getOrder();

/* Add Tax Invoice text */
    // Set font 

$page->setFont(Zend_Pdf_Font::fontWithName(Zend_Pdf_Font::FONT_HELVETICA), 20); 

// Draw text 

$page->drawText('Tax Invoice',135800 ); 

/* Add image */

$this->insertLogo($page$invoice->getStore());

Still working on changing the Tax into Gst

Magento Community
Magento Community

Leapfrog

Total Posts:  8
Australia SA

Hi All,

For the time being I added the words “Tax Invoice” to the printed PDF by adding the following to the invoice.php file (\app\code\core\Mage\Sales\Model\Order\Pdf\)

$order $invoice->getOrder();

/* Add Tax Invoice text */
    // Set font 

$page->setFont(Zend_Pdf_Font::fontWithName(Zend_Pdf_Font::FONT_HELVETICA), 20); 

// Draw text 

$page->drawText('Tax Invoice',135800 ); 

/* Add image */

$this->insertLogo($page$invoice->getStore());

Still working on changing the Tax into Gst

Magento Community
Magento Community

CAE-Andy

Total Posts:  18
Adelaide

Why not set a tax group as “GST” @ 0.1 and another as “GST Exempt” and set this at 0 ?
This is not the same as GST Excluding!

Within each product you can select which tax code you use. So coffee might be Exempt and Your Coffee Machines might (will be) GST Inc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Soro

Total Posts:  16

Hi Andy,

I did what you suggested, I think I have it setup correctly the first issue I see is that, it adds the tax on. GST is meant to be included in the price but still show, just not added on to the final price.

How did you get around this?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Soro

Total Posts:  16

Nevermind worked it out. This works perfectly Andy, I have avoided doing this for a month or 2 because I thought it would be hard, was simple. Now I just have to change the tax word to GST

Magento Community
Magento Community

benz001

Total Posts:  238
Sydney

Don’t forget the GST free parts of Australia!

I’ve been looking into this over the weekend (joy) and did you know that the following Australian regions are exempt from GST?

Christmas Island WA, 6798
Norfolk Island NSW, 2899
Cocos (Keeling) Island WA, 6799
Lord Howe Island NSW, 2898
Macquarie Island TAS, 7151

And yes, I have clients who have customers in these regions.

So to deal with this I’ve set up 0% tax rates for each of these State/Postcode combinations and added them into my GST tax rule.

Anyone know of any other strange quirks in Australian tax zones?

Magento Community
Magento Community

plu_australia

Total Posts:  132

Roland Quast - 13 January 2009 02:37 PM

Just a tip with the tax invoice stuff…

What I did with the email templates was to put a link to the printable invoice on the website rather than put the tax invoice in the email, same with the order details.

This way if you want to change the printable invoice on the website to say “Tax Invoice” etc, with the date of the invoice etc, you only have to extend 1 file (the printable invoice display code).

I tried to get tax invoice working with the tax invoice date on the email, but that required extending the order object, which is a real pain when it comes to upgrading.

Apart from that, I also modified the translation csv files to say Inc. GST where it says Inc. Tax etc… this also made things more simple.

Hope this helps some people out.

How exactly did you do that?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2