Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Siloing a Magento site

Nick_Designer

Total Posts:  24

I am currently researching the process of siloing a Magento website. We have about 1,600 pages covering 1,400 products and I would like to silo the entire site into descreet sections. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Nick

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Whitegold

Total Posts:  8

Nick_Designer - 13 December 2011 05:47 AM

I am currently researching the process of siloing a Magento website. We have about 1,600 pages covering 1,400 products and I would like to silo the entire site into descreet sections. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick ...

Using the Silo technique is always easier on a new site rather than an existing enterprise, however, that does not mean that it cannot be done or even should not be done ...

The whole principal revolves around controlling link relevancy within an accepted group without diluting the relevancy to other areas of the site where there may be a relevancy issue ..

It most certainly can be done, although you would need to be very careful with the theming / template issues you may uncover within the process ..  it’s obviously a very good technique for the purposes of SEO, but like I said it’s usually employed at the beginning of a project. With 1600 pages across 1400 products, your going to have a lot of fun trudging through the entire list to categorize them efficiently and at the same time ensuring no cross category pollution of the keyword phrases in mind ..

All I can do for the moment is wish you good luck and many happy hours of putting things in the right boxes without cross contamination of the purity of the phrases .. not for the faint hearted this one ..

Respect, Goldie…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nick_Designer

Total Posts:  24

In particular I am looking for info about how to segregate menus across various silo areas as these would need to be specific to that area only. So, I would need to be able to publish a different menu for each area...what would be the best way to do this, considering that Magento uses the Category structure to render the menus?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community