Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is Magento a suitable Long-Term solution? 

mossheg

Total Posts:  4

I have done a great deal of customization to my store, but there was a point when I laid back, and asked myself, “Is Magento my long-term ecommerce software?”

With my requirement for storage and bandwidth, Magento is the only realistic solution because it’s flexible and open source. However, I want to get my store fully functioning so I can focus on everything else in my business, but I feel I can’t do that.

I’m looking for stability, control, and something I can rely on, something I can look at in 5-10 years and be proud of. Has anyone used Magento for long-term, and has anyone ran into any inevitable problems/issues down the road? I’m just questioning whether I should switch before wasting too much of my time, or if I should be faithful in it.

Thank you for any input.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

From my point of view it is a reliable long term solution.
To give you an example, I developed a website 3 years ago on Magento that still runs today.
The website is heavily customized to fit the client’s needs.
Of course right now it’s not the initial website, I’ve upgraded Magneto to a later version, but this was no trouble at all.
The customer makes money from this website, it has a lot of third party systems integrated with the website and all of them run smoothly. Well...almost but no huge issues.
if it ran for 3 years I bet it will be here in 2 or more years. (then it will fit your timespan).

Anyway, the decision is yours. It really depends on the functionality you have and the one you still need.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Extendware

Total Posts:  231

In my view, it is a great solution. I develop extensions for Magento (Extendware), so that shows how much I believe that. From a technical perspective, I believe Magento is the best written open source shopping cart. The features and modularity is great.

It is backed by a commercial company (Ebay) and has sources of revenue and a liberal open source license. I do not believe Magento will disappear or lose its development community any time soon. Also, Magento 2 is being actively worked on and the few shortcomings that Magento has are going to be addressed in Magento 2.

Magento Community
Magento Community

blau16

Total Posts:  31

I am sure that Magenta is a very cool and helpful solution. I just started using it, but I am really keen on it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

flex2012

Total Posts:  2

Magento is so excellent tool that you will like it if you begin to use it.

mossheg - 07 December 2011 10:20 PM

I have done a great deal of customization to my store, but there was a point when I laid back, and asked myself, “Is Magento my long-term ecommerce software?”

With my requirement for storage and bandwidth, Magento is the only realistic solution because it’s flexible and open source. However, I want to get my store fully functioning so I can focus on everything else in my business, but I feel I can’t do that.

I’m looking for stability, control, and something I can rely on, something I can look at in 5-10 years and be proud of. Has anyone used Magento for long-term, and has anyone ran into Auto Loan Calculator any inevitable problems/issues down the road? I’m just questioning whether I should switch before wasting too much of my time, or if I should be faithful in it.

Thank you for any input.

Magento Community
Magento Community

uniart

Total Posts:  8

You came to the wrong place… all of us love magento and we can’t give you an honest opinion…

Still, to answer your question, yes Magento is a long term solution. But you need to take it into your head that it will need some work every now and then (the same goes for any other program). You are right that you need to focus om your business, and this is why you should not be your own developer. Rather hire someone to do it for you, while you are focusing on making money…

Btw, This is good advice, Magnto or not!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonnyjone2

Total Posts:  2
Cape Coral

I am fan of magento as Shopping Cart but I wanna ask People that is it compatible with other operating systems?

Magento Community
Magento Community

blau16

Total Posts:  31

great solutions here. thx!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community