Magento Forum

Compare Product Feature Showing Twice on Home Page

zegron

Total Posts:  9

Good morning,

I have a friend that wanted a magento store set up with a template they purchased. So I installed the store and the template according to the directions. The issue we have is that on the home page the Compare Products box is showing up twice. On the rest of the pages its fine. I’m only marginally experienced in Magento and need some help. I’ve looked and looked and dug through documentation and have learned a lot about magento trying to track this issue down but I’m no closer than I was before.

Site: http://www.ecluggage.com/

I tried to get the company that my friend bought the template from, templatemonster.com, to help but they have some kind of version policy and it states that if you install one of their templates on a store version older or newer than what its stated to be compatible with on the sale page they will not provide support or a refund. Unfortunately my friend didn’t see that fine print. I’ve spent a lot of time trying really hard to get them to help and they refuse.

So, I turn to you knowledgeable people of the forums, I will post whatever you need me to so I can diagnose this issue. I’m not even sure what file’s contents I need to post so that I can get help. I live by my email so I will respond promptly.

Thanks,
Matt

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

prateekgupta
Guru

Total Posts:  539
India

Hey,

There must be two references called for compare products box. On the cms -> home page on the design tab there you can find one entry of it and the second entry you can find on catalog.xml file in your app/design/frontend/default/theme/layout/catalog.xml file smile

Hope it helps. Well if it is not it can be solved by going through the site xml files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

prateekgupta
Guru

India

I checked the site once again two compare products are there only on home page. Go to cms->home page then on design tab remove the entry refrencing to compare products that will make it ok.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zegron

thanks for the reply:

This is the code from the design section of the home page block.

<reference name="header">
    <
block type="cms/block" name="header_slider">
        <!--

The content of this block is taken from the database by its block_id.

You can manage it in admin CMS -> Static Blocks

-->
        <
action method="setBlockId"><block_id>header_slider</block_id></action>
    </
block>
</
reference>
<
reference name="content">    
    <
block type="catalog/product_new" name="home.catalog.product.new" alias="product_new" template="catalog/product/new.phtml" after="cms_page">
        <
action method="addPriceBlockType"><type>bundle</type><block>bundle/catalog_product_price</block><template>bundle/catalog/product/price.phtml</template></action>
        <
action method="setColumnCount"><columns>4</columns></action>
        <
action method="setProductsCount"><count>8</count></action>
    </
block>
    <!--
    <
block type="reports/product_viewed" name="home.reports.product.viewed" alias="product_viewed" template="reports/home_product_viewed.phtml" after="product_new"><action method="addPriceBlockType"><type>bundle</type><block>bundle/catalog_product_price</block><template>bundle/catalog/product/price.phtml</template></action></block>

<block type="reports/product_compared" name="home.reports.product.compared" template="reports/home_product_compared.phtml" after="product_viewed"><action method="addPriceBlockType"><type>bundle</type><block>bundle/catalog_product_price</block><template>bundle/catalog/product/price.phtml</template></action></block>

-->
</
reference>
<
reference name="left">
    <
action method="unsetChild"><alias>right.reports.product.viewed</alias></action>
    <
action method="unsetChild"><alias>right.reports.product.compared</alias></action>
    <
action method="unsetChild"><alias>right.poll</alias></action>
</
reference>

I see potential references to compare products: 

<action method="unsetChild"><alias>right.reports.product.compared</alias></action>
and
<block type="reports/product_compared" name="home.reports.product.compared" template="reports/home_product_compared.phtml" after="product_viewed"><action method="addPriceBlockType"><type>bundle</type><block>bundle/catalog_product_price</block><template>bundle/catalog/product/price.phtml</template></action></block>
I removed the first line of code, refresh the cache for the Blocks HTML and CTRL-f5 refreshed the home page and it still had two Compare boxes there. The second is already commented out. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Matt

Magento Community
Magento Community

prateekgupta
Guru

India

Hey,

Reove both the lines and then see the difference

Magento Community
Magento Community

zegron

I have done so, and checked in a couple different browsers and refreshed all the caches and they still show up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Template fans
Guru

Total Posts:  446

You can try to turn off the “compare” module. Then check if there still one on your homepage.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SMFletcher91

Total Posts:  10

In case you haven’t solved your problem yet, what I did was go to CMS - Pages - Home Page - Design, and then I removed the block and template for Compare, then the line regarding compare in the second reference.

Next, I had to edit the cms in the download by going to shop - app - design - frontend - default - base - default - layout - catalog.xml

In this file, find the one line about compare in the reference tag named “right” and delete that, too.

All you have to do from there to get to see the change is refresh your cache on Magento and your browser.

Worked for me, hope it works for you, too!

*I would also suggest that any changes you make are done in folders of your own.  In my case, where I told you to go to “base”, I have my own file started there so any changes I make won’t affect an upgrade.  Just keep all the folders titled the same expect your own section, copy what files and folders you need to change, and only change on your own files.  Sounds confusing to explain, but there are plenty of tutorials to help you out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoostWolthuis

Total Posts:  3

Hello,

Not sure if you already found a solution.
I narrowed the problem down to the XML files.
When 2 or more layout XML files are used with <reference="right" > the problem happens.
It ONLY happens with the compare sidebar.phtml file

Any one has a solution?

Joost

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jubba

Total Posts:  82
London

I am having the same issue, I am using easytabs by template master as an extension, in my easytabs.xml which is in my local folder it has.

<!--reference name="right">
            <
action method="unsetChild" ifconfig="easy_tabs/general/relatedtabbed"><name>catalog.product.related</name></action>
        </
reference-->

If I use this I have two Compare Products in my side bar.......when commented out only one appears.

Any Ideas???????

Magento Community
Magento Community

zodyakoo

Total Posts:  1
Germany

Jubba - 08 October 2012 07:55 AM

I am having the same issue, I am using easytabs by template master as an extension, in my easytabs.xml which is in my local folder it has.

<!--reference name="right">
            <
action method="unsetChild" ifconfig="easy_tabs/general/relatedtabbed"><name>catalog.product.related</name></action>
        </
reference-->

If I use this I have two Compare Products in my side bar.......when commented out only one appears.

Any Ideas???????

“Enable related products tab” tab must be selected as “NO” from admin panel .. System->Easy-Tabs->General->Enable related products tab = No

Magento Community
Magento Community

fitzhall27

Total Posts:  5

In my case, where I told you to go to “base”, I have my own file started there so any changes I make won’t affect an upgrade.

--------------------------------------------
good-backlink.com

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community