Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

what to do when a card is declined

Vicky P

Total Posts:  93
Devon, UK

I have a dilemma… I use SecureTrading for my card processing.  The customer is taken from my site, to ST’s secure pages to enter the card information.

When a transaction is successful, they are redirected back to a success page on my site and the status of the order is set to Processing.

When a transaction fails because the customer hasn’t put the information in correctly, they are redirected back to a failed page on my site, and the order is cancelled and the products returned to stock.

However I’m coming across the situation where a customer’s card fails, the order is cancelled, but they click the back button on their browser and reenter the card information correctly.  The money is then taken from their card, but the order still says cancelled in the admin. I don’t always spot that the money has been taken and then customers wonder why they haven’t received their order.

I’m not sure what to do.  If I don’t redirect the customer back to a failed page on my site, and they don’t bother trying again with their card or it keeps failing, the order stays at Pending and stock levels decreased.  I have to then manually cancel the order.  This is ok during the day when I’m there to keep an eye on things, but if an order is placed outside of business hours, pending orders can prevent other customers buying the same products because there aren’t enough in stock or appear out of stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Vicky P

Total Posts:  93
Devon, UK

Glad I’m not the only one who has the same issue. Most of the time it’s ok because I pick up the issue and as you do, reenter the order. However my worry is that if I’m not around/on holiday etc, that the people who help out won’t spot it and it happens fairly frequently.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community