Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Product title and description discrepancy on front-end and backend

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

I have a wired problem that I don’t know what is causing this and haven’t found any similar problems on the forum.
I have a store with over 10,000 products. When I check a product on the front end, I see TEXT-A for title, TEXT-B for short description and TEXT-C for complete description.
When I go back to the backend, I see TEXT-B for title and short description while full description is BLANK. Note: These products have been added to the catalog via Importing CSV file.
When I change the title and full description on the back-end, then clear cache and go back to the front end, I still see the original TEXT-A, TEXT-B and TEXT-C without showing the new information that I entered in the back end.
I tried to download the product via Import/Export and again the generated CSV file by magento matches the back end data and not the front end data.
So, I’m a little confused on where the front end data is coming from and why I can’t change the title and description.

The other wired thing in this regard is that if I change product price, related products, up-sell or cross sell products in the back end, all of these are getting updated on the front end. The only part that is not updating on the front end are the Title, and the full description.

Has anybody had this type of problem before or know the reason for this?
I’m using magento 1.1.8

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

In addition to the above info, I just found two huge tables in the database:
dataflow_batch_import
dataflow_batch_export

Is this the source for my front-end data?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Growarock

Total Posts:  5

I too am having similar problems, I have uploaded through a csv file using the import tool with less than 1k products and the information that I update in the backend as you (title, description, short description) does not update or reflect on the frontend. I can however update the price and it will show in the frontened. I’m using Version 1.1.8 as well.

Please help, as this is a problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

moleygunn

Total Posts:  73

I’ve got this problem too. Anyone found a workaround?

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

I emptied both dataflow_batch_import and dataflow_batch_export tables, but still same problem. . .

Magento Community
Magento Community

moleygunn

The problem lies in the catalog_product_entity_varchar table. In my case it has duplicate entries for attribute_id 56, which is the product name. So, for example, product number 533 has two entries for product name, one with store_id 0 and one with store_id 3. I’ve attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean.

I tried running the following SQL command in phpMyAdmin to clean out the incorrect entries:

DELETE FROM catalog_product_entity_varchar WHERE value_id < 7770 AND attribute_id = 56 AND store_id = 0

It deleted one of the two offending entries. All this did was remove all the product names from my site, so I had to restore the database. I haven’t gotten around to deleting the ones with store_id = 3.

Note:
I have two stores
The SQL values will change depending on what’s in your database.
value_id < 7770 represents the point after which I import the new products.

Image Attachments
phpmyadmin.gif

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

This problem still exists in version 1.2.0.2. I still see multiple discrepancies between the front and back ends in different attributes in addition to title and product description. Has anybody found a solution to this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

moleygunn

This problem is proving to be an absolute nightmare. How can Magento allow you to import products and then not edit in the backend them after that? I exported my entire catalog, made hundreds of changes and then imported the CSV back in. Now I can’t change the product name or description for any product on my site.

Even when I export centain products to make changes and import them again it’s not updating them now.

Magento is brilliant. I love it, but this is a huge bug. Please, please, please Varien: give us an SQL statement that’ll fix this, or a bug fix or something.

You can have my girlfriend for the night if you do. I’ll send you my database, or even give you access to my hosting account if you want.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ieatfood

Total Posts:  1

The problem seems to be with the way Excel saves CSV files.  Using OpenOffice seems to fix this problem.

See http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/23099/

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

ieatfood - 20 January 2009 11:28 AM

The problem seems to be with the way Excel saves CSV files.  Using OpenOffice seems to fix this problem.

See http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/23099/

I’m not using Excel. I use php and automatically generate csv file via php and cron job.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redvinny

Total Posts:  48

Am having similar problem.  I cannot change descriptions, images after importing from CSV - HOW CRAZY!

SOLVED

In the product view, I changed the store view from Default to the one i am using i.e. it was called English (bit renamed it as it kept appearing all over the website in weird locations with messages like - “hello welcome to english” nice!)

This meant that when I changed product descriptions etc they now reflect what’s happening in the backend.  Doesn’t really seem right though as when you change some products using the global / default view it manages to change them.  Smells a bit fishy!

I have seen on a thread elsewhere that Excel causes problems for CSV importing to magento!

Looks good (magento) but the simplest things cause lots of headaches and hours of searching through the forums.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

...In the product view, I changed the store view from Default to the one i am using.....

I think your solution make sense. But I didn’t quite understand where you changed the product view to “English”? Did you change the it in your csv file under “store” column?

Thanks for your reply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

I think I found what you mean.
The store view, refers to “Store” option under the import/export profile.
I will upload few products and see if it works ( I guess it will). I will post my result here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mike Smullin

Total Posts:  23
Eagle Mountain, Utah

Experiencing same problem. Running 1.2.0.2.
This worked for me, but I don’t understand why:

DELETE FROM catalog_product_entity_datetime WHERE store_id != 0;
DELETE FROM catalog_product_entity_decimal WHERE store_id != 0;
DELETE FROM catalog_product_entity_gallery WHERE store_id != 0;
DELETE FROM catalog_product_entity_int WHERE store_id != 0;
DELETE FROM catalog_product_entity_media_gallery_value WHERE store_id != 0;
DELETE FROM catalog_product_entity_text WHERE store_id != 0;
DELETE FROM catalog_product_entity_varchar WHERE store_id != 0;

Why are there two records in core_stores? What is store id 0 (Admin) for? Why is it when I create a product manually from the back-end, only one record for store id 0 is generated, but when I use the Import All Products option the records are duplicated once for each store? It does appear that the duplication is what is causing the front-end and back-end data to differ for the products. Running the above query after every import solves the problem for me.

In researching I found other threads on the subject. All appear to be unanswered:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=1834
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/9407
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/27866/

Would appreciate it if anyone could follow up on this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redvinny

Total Posts:  48

@zadpro

The change to use a different store view was made actually in the admin panel when updating the product.  I think by default it uses the ‘default store’ view (in the top left corner of the panel) when you change this to your specific store view it gives you a message saying something about changing view and saving your work.  when I switched this to my specific store view the changes worked.  When I referred to English, I think on my installation it simply had German, French and English underneath ‘My Website’.

Vinny

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

FL, USA

redvinny - 01 February 2009 11:56 AM

@zadpro

The change to use a different store view was made actually in the admin panel when updating the product.  I think by default it uses the ‘default store’ view (in the top left corner of the panel) when you change this to your specific store view it gives you a message saying something about changing view and saving your work.  when I switched this to my specific store view the changes worked.  When I referred to English, I think on my installation it simply had German, French and English underneath ‘My Website’.

Vinny

@Vinny:
But I’m not sure if this is right. Because I don’t use the admin to upload my csv. I use a php script and use cron to upload my csv automatically every hour. I have a column in my csv “store” which currently I have “default” in there.
So I’m still a little confused.
This is my understanding from your previous note, if I upload my csv with the word “default” in the store column, that will create a new set of info for the product that on frontend will override the info that appears in the backend for the product. To fix this, I need to do ethier of the following two:
1- change “default” to “English” in my csv file
OR
2- Delete the store column from my csv and enter “English” in the store option of the product upload profile.

Please let me know if this is right?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2