Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to Upgrade from 1.4.2 to 1.6.1

roknrod12

Total Posts:  70

I need to upgrade a store from 1.4.2 to the latest version.  Can anyone point me to a good ‘how to’ on the upgrade process?  Searching for this topic seems to be a bit confusing and I want to make sure that I do this correctly.  I do have shell access on my server, too.

thanks in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

You can read this: Post and questions and I will help you as much as I can

Magento Community
Magento Community

roknrod12

Hello, Brent.  Did you mean to post a link to something?  Tx

Magento Community
Magento Community

aaronwallace

Total Posts:  59

Hi,

Here is a link for you:

http://www.expertmagentodevelopers.com/blog/upgrade-magento-from-1-4-to-1-5-or-1-6/

Thanks
Aaron

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul Whipp

Total Posts:  48

FYI, That link did not work for me (It borks at the mage update step).

I tried the connect manager normal upgrade and that failed.
I tried copying the new files over and then running the upgrade. That failed.
I tried hiring a magento professional. That failed (after wasted money).
I tried hiring another magento professional. That failed (no money wasted this time - I insisted on full payment only if the job got done - it didn’t)
I tried the new magento expert consultancy group. They asked for $8,000 to look at the problem but then said they were too busy, go to a magento professional (not keen to try that again - see above).
I tried creating a new 1.6.1 store and migrating the data using SQL diff processes (allowing for the 30+ changed column names). That failed - the eav model introduces to many data dependencies.

I’m currently looking at importing the 1.4.2 data (customer and product) into a new 1.6.1 store to which I’ll then have to add all the extensions/themes etc. The import of customers fails (column mismatches) but perhaps I can fix it… at least I’m dealing with CSVs for the import.

It seems that the experience differs for different stores but with our 9 extensions and 15k products (using grouped and configurable products) it seems to be impossible to find a real magento expert who can solve the problem (at any price - although I cannot believe this should really be so hard).

If anyone really knows how to do this upgrade (and has demonstrably done it successfully) I will happily pay them on completion provided that their solution is testable on a snapshot in a staging site and can then subsequently be applied to our live site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Are you still looking for help on this? If so, I can PM you the method I use. I can’t guarantee it will work but it usually does.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Sorry guys, I sort of dropped the ball on this one.

Here is the WIKI I meant to post for a link

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/manual_upgrade_using_fresh_install_and_original_database

You can also PM with questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul Whipp

Total Posts:  48

Brent\’s post pretty much covers the process I had to use in the end.

There were still several issues with our database that caused the clean update to crash and to loop indefinitely.

As not everyone experiences these issues I think they result from Magento issues regarding databases that have been upgraded from earlier versions (1.3 in our case) that contained large amounts of data.

I managed to address these using an sql script so it can be used in the \’real upgrade\’ to remove duplicates from the sales_flat_order table and by modifying some of the upgrade....php files to turn off unique and foreign key checks during the upgrade.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roknrod12

sherrie - 16 December 2011 06:49 AM

Are you still looking for help on this? If so, I can PM you the method I use. I can’t guarantee it will work but it usually does.

Hi, Sherrie:

Yes - I’ve not done anything yet b/c of holidays, so I’m still looking at all the options to see what will work best.  Any help you can give I’ll certainly take into consideration.

Thanks,
Rodney

Magento Community
Magento Community

roknrod12

I\’ve been trying to do this today.  I\’ve followed so many different instructions hoping there was a \’holy grail\’ somewhere.  I keep running into this error when trying to access the admin panel, and I cannot find a fix that works:

Error in file\"/var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Sales/sql/sales_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.4.0.21-1.4.0.22.php\" SQLSTATE[23000]Integrity constraint violation1062 Duplicate entry \'7W1871\' for key \'UNQ_INCREMENT_ID\'

Trace:
#0 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(645): Mage::exception(\'Mage_Core\', \'Error in file: ...\')
#1 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(437): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(\'upgrade\', \'1.4.0.21\', \'1.6.0.7\')
#2 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(320): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb(\'1.4.0.21\', \'1.6.0.7\')
#3 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(235): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(417): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(343): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/Mage.php(683): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/index.php(87): Mage::run(\'\', \'store\')
#8 {main}

I\’ve used the app/etc/config.xml fix, but it\’s not worked.  Has anyone experienced problems during upgrade that can offer some help?

Thanks,
Rod

Magento Community
Magento Community

roknrod12

Sorry - my error message was a little difficult to read so I’m reposting it here:

Error in file: “/var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Sales/sql/sales_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.4.0.21-1.4.0.22.php” - SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry ‘7W1871’ for key ‘UNQ_INCREMENT_ID’

Trace:
#0 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(645): Mage::exception(’Mage_Core’, ‘Error in file: ...’)
#1 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(437): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(’upgrade’, ‘1.4.0.21’, ‘1.6.0.7’)
#2 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(320): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb(’1.4.0.21’, ‘1.6.0.7’)
#3 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(235): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(417): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(343): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/app/Mage.php(683): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /var/www/7ballmusic/store/index.php(87): Mage::run(’’, ‘store’)
#8 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

roknrod12

So, it looks like there were duplicate invoices in the db that I was able to find and delete easy enough.  However, I’m still running into unique constraint issues.  The latest being:

SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry ‘product/657-1-1’ for key ‘UNQ_PATH’

I’ve been at this for way too long now.  I’ve used the app/etc/config.xml but it doesn’t appear to be disabling the unique checks.  I’ve read so many issues with upgrades that my head is spinning now. smile Anyone able to offer any tips?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community