Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Customer Options: Color, Size (Apparel Store)

lbwd

Total Posts:  28

I’m customizing Magento for an Apparel store and I added Attributes: ”Color” and ”Size” with their options.  I want the actual customer on the website shopping to be able to select these options. Is this possible?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Total Posts:  415

Short answer, yes. But what do you mean by “select”? Would you like your customers to be able to sort their search results with these attributes?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Diederik

Total Posts:  20
Belgium

I have the same issue.

If people order a certain shake they can choose a flavour. I added the flavours in a flavour attribute but the customers can’t select the one they wan’t they just see a list of all available flavours.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lbwd

Bockbertil - 23 December 2008 03:17 PM

Short answer, yes. But what do you mean by “select”? Would you like your customers to be able to sort their search results with these attributes?

By “select,” I mean that I want a dropdown select box where the customer can choose the color and size.. similar to that of Old Navy, and so forth.  For example:

Logo Hoodie
S
MLXLXXL
White
GreyGreenBlack

I have this marked as a Configurable Product, by the way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Diederik

Belgium

Ok I fixed it by using the customer options tab, found in the product information page in the admin.
When I add, flavour their as an option it works.

I taught I could use the attributes but that seams to be only informative.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Well, I’ve no experience with configurable products unfortunately. But here is a guide that might help you guys http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-a-configurable-product.

Hope everything works out and happy holidays smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

lbwd

Yes, this will help!  Looks to me like this is what I need.  Thank you for your time!  Have a prosperous New Year.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Diederik

Belgium

Bockbertil - 23 December 2008 04:13 PM

Well, I’ve no experience with configurable products unfortunately. But here is a guide that might help you guys http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-a-configurable-product.

Hope everything works out and happy holidays smile

Yes, this is a good tutorial, but it’s alot of work.

I just wished their was away to say to magento that certain attributes you select for a product need to be product options.
Now you have to go and create 10 products for 10 flavours.
Or enter the flavours as product custom options.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Agreed, I would fancy such an update myself. Might have a look at it, but at a later time though. For now I suppose you will have to settle for the available solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lbwd

Diederik - 24 December 2008 12:18 AM

Yes, this is a good tutorial, but it’s alot of work.

I just wished their was away to say to magento that certain attributes you select for a product need to be product options.
Now you have to go and create 10 products for 10 flavours.
Or enter the flavours as product custom options.

Roger that.  I do notice that things like this are confusing to do.  But what is a Web Developer for?  smile If this was too easy, freelancers might go broke.  Magento also runs a bit slow even on Magento’s hosting service (Aspiration Hosting, owned by Irubin Consulting).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community