Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Category Page Won’t Switch to 2columns-left

Jaxbulls

Total Posts:  17

I cannot get my product listing page to show up in the 2column-left layout.
I even went so far as to change every 3columns.phtml mention to 2columns-left.phtml just to see if that would work.
I do not want the 3 column view anywhere in my site.  I did find that the etc/config.xml page mentions 3columns.phtml so changing that to 2columns-left.phtml does work but I know that is an improper hack and not recommended at all.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jaxbulls

I reverted that code back...I was keeping the file open so I could just undo because I knew I wouldn’t keep it like that.
My code said that but I even copied yours there just to make sure and I’m still getting the same results.  I have other pages utilizing this template, its just this main page isn’t working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jaxbulls

I have one category.  I clicked on the category name in the top navigation and i see the layout for the products in that category.  I made sure all the pages in the cms (none of which i have made) do not link to the three column.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ursula2k

Total Posts:  13

clearing the cache management worked for me! thanks smile

ps. it would be really great to add that into the design tutorials. i thought i was going crazy for two days straight..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jaxbulls

I’ve cleared the cache multiple times and it still isn’t working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jaxbulls

I finally figured it out.  The page I have been talking about was the category page.  You specify the category for each template in the admin.
So I just went and edited the category template in the admin and its all fixed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

auxcom

Total Posts:  8

I have the same problem. Although specifying the Page Layout in the Custom Design of Manage Categories will do the trick, the problem will be continue on my sub pages like the Product View pages which still uses the 3column layout instead of the 2columns-left.

I check my etc/config.xml and it do not have this line

<block type="page/html" name="root" output="toHtml" template="page/3columns.phtml">

I not sure if this apply to new version of Magento. I like to ask where in the etc/config.xml should I insert the above setting?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community