Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Removing default configuration without editing core files? 

MageParts
Guru

Total Posts:  415

I need to move one of the links from the top menu in the administration panel, however if I choose to edit the core files (which I’ve currently been forced to) my changes will be made undone the next time I update the shop. I can create a duplicate of the link in a custom made xml file, but how do I remove existing content from a core xml file? At frontend this is possible through the action remove, but what about the backend?

Any help / suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your interest smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

You can create your own class on the local scope, and set in the config.xml that your class override the original one.
Some thing like this (in the config file):

<config>
    <global>
        <
models>
            <
catalog>
                <
rewrite>
                    <
layer>Bl_Catalog_Model_Layer</layer>
                </
rewrite>
            </
catalog
        </
models>
    </global>
</
config>

In this case, I’m overriding the catalog_layer class.

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Hi mate, thanks for you reply! However I don’t think thats what I’m looking for. What I wanna do is to move the top menu Promotions to Sales -> Promotions. But the above code is made for overriding core classes, right? Thanks a lot for your help though, relay appreciated smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Bump. Still looking for a solution to this one smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community