Magento Forum

Categories and Products Data Load

Naski666

Total Posts:  2

Hi everyone,

I’ve started recently to use Magento and there’s a topic of which I haven’t found much information. Everything goes fine when using the administration site to perform the different tasks, but there are some things I can’t do using the Admin site.

After configurating almost everything in mi store, I want to upload all the contents, and I don’t know where to start at this point. Uploading the categories may be not really complicated, as long there are not going to be so many of them. This may be handmade with a little effort. The problem starts when I want to load all the products ... I don’t know how to start. First of all, I suppose I need to define the different set of attributes of each category (I asume the attributes of a book are going to be different that the attributes of a laptop). After that, I contact with a provider and he will send me their product information for example in XML.

What would be the process to upload that information into the database?  I haven’t seen any example of this. It’s easy to load products through the administration web, but obviously it’s not possible to upload in this way for example 100000 products.

Any solution for this, or somewhere where I could get answered my question?

Thanks in advance
Ignacio

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Hi
What you do is make a few example products, export them with ‘dataflow’, then update your spreadsheets with the thousands and import them again.
The process is as simple as that, however, you will need to get your attribute sets built and category tree setup before you can import everything en-masse.
You may want to watch the screencasts on Magento before getting too stuck in. These (and the forums) will get you the answers you need.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Naski666

Total Posts:  2

Thaks Discovery,

And is it possible to export ‘Categories’ too? We would probably be forced to create one category per product for another thing, and the option of exporting categories seems to be forbidden. In the Type combo you only have the options Customers or Products. Nothing similar for categories?

Thanks. Ignacio

Magento Community
Magento Community

factfinder

Total Posts:  37
Pforzheim, Germany

I had the same Problem so I wrote a litte DataFlow Extension. With this extension you can also export categories at a product extport, just by adding some xml tags into an advanced profile.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/reviews/module/753/dataflow-extension

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community