Magento Forum

1.6 is Slow Slow Slow! 

roco

Total Posts:  191

Category Pages, List Pages are the slowest - 2-3 times slower than 1.3.2.4.

Product pages and initial load are very slow as well - 2 times slower than 1.3.2.4

WHY???????

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

www.profico.cz

Total Posts:  35

It’s true!
Also backups takes a much much much longer!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dimace

Total Posts:  28

Also noticed this massive performance hit, has anybody worked out why?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dimace

We have actually gone above and beyond what is listed in that link to speed up our magento store… Optimisation doesnt seem to be the issue for us. We noticed a speed decrease in the order of 5 times slower after upgrading to 1.6 from 1.4 for first load times…

We have a dedicated server with more than enough resources to run Magento, it probably has enough juice to run 20 magentos to be absolutely honest with you.

Tried a fresh install magento using the same db on the default theme and still super slow on 1.6… we have APC running, tweaked mysql cache settings and php limits, still no success.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tandylacker

Total Posts:  207

We have a very high powered dedicated server which runs 4 different stores under one Magento install. Our load times before and after the upgrade from 1.5.0.1 to 1.6.1 were nearly identical. Close enough to be considered the same.

Just saying I don’t think your problems are from the new version so you probably can speed up your site somehow. Something must have changed that can be changed back.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dimace

Due you have a large catalog? we have over 10,000 sku’s in our catalog, upgraded straight from 1.4.1.1 to 1.6, so I never had a chance to test the performance of 1.5.

First load time for a category page with say 700 products showing 50 per page is around 25seconds, on 1.4 it was around 5sec… nothing server side had changed. The only difference was the version of Magento.

I have asked myseld if something could have broken during upgrade but I cancel it out as an option because we performed two test upgrades prior to upgarding the production site each with the same result. I then took a copy of our db and installed a fresh copy of 1.6 over it and still slowness persists. Category flat tables and product flat tables are selected also.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tandylacker

Total Posts:  207

That sounds terrible.

Our catalog is definitely very small compared to yours and compared to most. Only about 50 products on the main site with additional stores each having under 10 products. But that\’s not really the issue though. I would expect us to be faster overall for sure, but when comparing one version to the next, our site did not slow down. I don\’t know the test results exactly, but with 1.5.0.1 we were at 1 second on initial load and with 1.6.1 we are at right about that give or take .2 seconds on initial load.

So I would think if everything was fine on your server then you would still load at or around 5 seconds. Maybe you are using a script that is not compatible with 1.6.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dimace

Yeah, I dont think it is script or external module related because I have copied the db and downloaded and installed a fresh stock copy of Magento 1.6 and it still takes 20 seconds or so to load a category page, even with no product images being loaded, using the default theme, no external modules are installed, no external scripts are running… just our db with around 10,000 sku’s and a fresh install of magento 1.6.

Does anybody else have a large magento 1.6 store with at least a 5,000 sku’s running multiple shops off the one install, that can share their results?

Magento Community
Magento Community

www.profico.cz

Total Posts:  35

It’s slow because it’s Xmas version tongue laugh

Magento Community
Magento Community

hankzh

Total Posts:  56

We upgrade from v1.5 to v1.6 in our test server(4g/4core) with >7000skus and multi-store, the speed looks ok,compared with v1.5.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dimace

I think i may have tracked down that it is our PHP that is what is causing the slowness. I am yet to figure out why though but I am certain that it is in fact our php that is causing it… very strange though because it wasn’t slow in 1.4. Anyhow, I started to get suspicious with php when i noticed huge spikes of cpu usage over 100% when I would visit a single category page, obviously this isn’t normal so this is what I done to work out that php is the culprit…

I downloaded a precompiled PHP5 binary file ("php5-cgi" from http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/magento_installation_guide#appendixphp5_cgi_setup)
and placed in in /home/kinky/updrage/cgi-bin/ directory.

Then I modified the “.htaccess” file so that the site’s php is handled by the binary file by uncommenting the lines

Action php5-cgi /cgi-bin/php5-cgi
AddHandler php5-cgi .php

...what do ya know! First load times dropped from 25sec down to 8sec and thats with what appears to be a very basic php binary with no APC or opcode caching enabled.

Our php is compiled using Easy Apache and can be seen at www.kinkyminx.com.au/phpinfo.php

I noticed there is a lot more going on in our version of php than the precompiled binary version I downloaded… Any tips?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community