Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why it duplicate images? 

vike888

Total Posts:  1

Thanks for this extentions.
Hi, I’ve this problem… I copy the image files in /media/import. I upload the csv sheet and everthing run right. So I’ve my produtcs in Magento. Then I try to update my produtcs so in my csv file I change the name of one products and save.
I delete the images in /media/import and import my csv but magento leave an error “images don’t exist”. So I copy the same images in /media/import and import again but when I see a products in frontend and backend I see the system duplicate my images.

How do I do?

Nobody help me??? :(

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dereksneed

Total Posts:  6

I have this same issue with Dataflow import.
When editing my CSV file with minor details such as price....

Using the same image file name (for the 3, image, small_image and thumbnail)....

would have thought the script would see the image was “already there” (from previous import) and pass by it, but it “re-uploads” it. So if I edit my CSV and import it 10 times, I have 10 duplicates (additional views/same image) in the Front and Back end for each of my products. (All my products just have 1 image view normally)

Hope someone knows, because I’m sure it’s something simple we are overlooking.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

This is working as designed and you need to change the method you are using for your maintenance import.

The initial import to add a new product needs to include everything including the image. It is used once to put a previously nonexistent product into Magento and once that is done, you don’t reimport everything plus the kitchen sink just to make minor product changes. If you do, then you overwrite everything and reimport your images, a waste of time and diskspace.

Product maintenance imports need only to have the 3 basic key columns for the product which are sku, store, type and then the additional columns where you need the changes. So, let’s say that you want to make changes to price and product name. You will produce a file like the following for your product import (make sure your store column matches your store the product is associated with and the csv is encoded UTF-8):

“sku”,"store”,"type”,"name”,"price"
“PROD1”,"admin”,"simple","Totally Excellent Product 1”,"10.05"
“PROD2”,"admin”,"simple","Not So Excellent Product 2”,"5.85"

Do this only for the products that have been changed and the columns and import it using the “Import All Products” profile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jcorry

Total Posts:  4

chiefair - 30 November 2011 07:43 AM

This is working as designed and you need to change the method you are using for your maintenance import.

OK, that’s all well and good...but supposing one has already made the mistake of importing products/images more than once and presented with duplicates of the same image...how can we remove them in bulk?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

If you’re on 1.4.1.1 or if it’s compatible with what you’re running, Image Clean is the automated way to do it. Otherwise you’re stuck with manually eliminating the duplicates.

Magento Community
Magento Community

diazwatson

Total Posts:  35
Spain

chiefair - 17 January 2012 07:44 AM

If you’re on 1.4.1.1 or if it’s compatible with what you’re running, Image Clean is the automated way to do it…

Hi guys,

How about Magento 1.7?

I have this problem in a store with this version and the mentioned extension only works with previous versions.

I was thinking to delete my 500 products and import them again but it must be another way to fix the duplicates.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

leendertvb

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

On 1.7.0.2 you can just re-import the same CSV file but be sure to select \’Replace existing data\’. Then it will remove all the images and replace it with the one you specified in the CSV.

Hope this helps someone.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nath

Total Posts:  28

chiefair - 30 November 2011 07:43 AM

The initial import to add a new product needs to include everything including the image. It is used once to put a previously nonexistent product into Magento and once that is done, you don’t reimport everything plus the kitchen sink just to make minor product changes. If you do, then you overwrite everything and reimport your images, a waste of time and diskspace.

Product maintenance imports need only to have the 3 basic key columns for the product which are sku, store, type and then the additional columns where you need the changes. So, let’s say that you want to make changes to price and product name. You will produce a file like the following for your product import (make sure your store column matches your store the product is associated with and the csv is encoded UTF-8):

“sku”,"store”,"type”,"name”,"price"
“PROD1”,"admin”,"simple","Totally Excellent Product 1”,"10.05"
“PROD2”,"admin”,"simple","Not So Excellent Product 2”,"5.85"

Do this only for the products that have been changed and the columns and import it using the “Import All Products” profile

so what your saying is that you simple use sku, store, type and lets say _base image. This way on import you can just import _base image?

I have tried to narrow down the data that I am importing to avoid have dupe images etc etc however once I edit the exported csv file and try to import I get the error “colums contain duplicate headers”.

Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community