Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

…something about the miserable search? 

loeffel
Guru

Total Posts:  427

There is no question, that the magento search is the worst of all ecommernce platforms I have ever tried. I don’t understand how such a crucible element can be this malfunctioning - especially since there are ajax search modules that include a custom search function that will deliver the exact results I am hoping for in 99% of my tries. So it is possible!

What have you done to improve the default magento search?
The backend settings won’t help at all, the results will always include products that don’t share any of the queries in their name (and the description attribute in my case is set not to be searchable so god only knows why it is even being searched at all!) and the best matching product will usually be the one furthest down.

The magento search is something that the team should definitely look into, as it is simply not working! But for the time being, what can we do to improve our results? Are there any extensions you can suggest? Any help would be highly appreciated!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cmarrs

Total Posts:  22

Can anyone comment on this? I am considering a transition from my current StoreFront platform to Magento. Does this persons complaint hold any sort of credibility? Why would they have problems with a product search?
Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

i95_Dev

Total Posts:  19
Washington, DC

Hi,

We have just the solution that you are looking for. The unique search techniques used by our extension help the customers to find products even with incorrect keywords. The extension uses the Google custom search features to search the store and provide search results. The Google search algorithm in this extension suggests the synonyms for the search keywords.
Customers are provided a search keyword suggestions if they type a keyword with a wrong spelling. This will help your customers to find your product in the store more efficiently.
See the extension work LIVE on our store.
https://store.i95dev.com/integration/i95dev-smart-google-custom-search.html
Feel free to ask us for more details.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  639

Hi loeffel

Take a look this search extension which enables the Sphinx-powered search with high-performance and more relevant search results.

Advanced Sphinx Search Pro

Image Attachments
sphinx_compare_results.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hello!

You can check out Search Pro. The module functions include:

- Significantly increase relevance of search results
- Specify search priority for attributes
- Enable customers to easily find the necessary products
- Choose the search type – ‘like’, ‘fulltext’ or ‘combined’
- Highly-configurable autocomplete feature

Image Attachments
magento-advanced-search-hover-color.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

aheadWorks
Guru

Total Posts:  424

Have a look at the Advanced Search Magento extension that replaces native search with Sphinx, an external search engine. Search works faster, server load is decreased, and results become more trustworthy. If you have 10000 products in your store, the extension will help your customers to find those which are required. If you have 1000 posts in your blog, it’s not a problem for Advanced Search module as well.

Visit the product page and get complete features description.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FMEExtensions
Mentor

Total Posts:  1298

The following FME advance search module allows you to create custom search filters and use them on any web page of your site,

Advance Search Module by FME

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mage_Otter

Total Posts:  14
Seattle

I wrote a blog on Magento’s search engine a while ago, with some tips for editing. It’s a bit labor-intensive to adjust all terms, but can be really beneficial to edit terms for your biggest searches. Utilizing Magento’s Search Terms

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community