Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Backend / Admin 1.6.1.0 Terribly slow saving of Attributesets

C44Supra

Total Posts:  4

Recently i installed Magento 1.6.0.0 on our webserver. It ran smooth and perfectly (clean install, new / empty database). However once i updated to 1.6.1.0 the backend became unbelievably slow. The biggest problem i find is updating existing or creating new attribute sets. Updating an existing set took anywhere between 50 and 70 seconds and creating a new set took 100-120 seconds.

I figured something might have gotten messed up during the update i removed the existing install and downloaded and installed 1.6.1.0 freshly. Removed the old database and removed all files from the server.

To my disappointment even on a fresh install Magento 1.6.1.0 (stable) takes 50-70 seconds to update an attribute set and 100-120 seconds to create a new one. I have added 2 media / image attributes and added “Manufacturer” and “Color” (existing attributes) to the default set and based 2 new sets on the default set (not adding or removing any attributes so in fact they are straight up copies).

Keep in mind that this is CLEAN install. Nothing has been added or changed other than the 2 new attributes. Caches are enabled and refreshed. Is there anything that could possibly cause this ? I have a bunch of sets to create and really don’t want to have to wait 2 minutes just to create a simple copy of the original set.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cupidsbedroom

Total Posts:  2

I feel you pain.... Any solutions out there, please advise!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Infolution_Biz

Total Posts:  7

Speed up your Magento administration with an desktop application SpeedAdmin Magento.

Check it out on this video: http://youtu.be/j9mVjSFC0CA

More info: http://www.infolution.biz/en/products/speedadmin-magento.html

It is a desktop application that can connect to your Magento web store and it is much faster than regular Magento backend.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

or better configure your mysql with apc backend cache.
proper mysql configuration gives you 100% boost.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  639

Indeed when a large number of goods or attributes need to be saved, backend works very slow, as each time you save data the system re-indexes the goods through the entire catalog.

Asynchronous Re-indexing is a solution to solver this problem. When a product or category is saved it is not immediately re-indexed, but put into a queue. The queue is re-indexed in the background. This greatly speeds up the backend. This mechanism is implemented by using an extension of http://mirasvit.com/magento-extensions/magento-asynchronous-reindex.html.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MPro

Total Posts:  20

Partially this problem can be solved by the extension Catalog Database Accelerator in case if saving the products in the backend takes you too much time. The system needs to make re-indexing of the entire site each time you change the catalog and it makes to work Magento backend extremely slow. With this module a user does not have to manually index the site, to sit and wait - the system itself does the re-indexing in the background mode.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community