Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why does the configurable product creation ask for a SKU#, when each variation of that product will have distinct SKU#s? 

abijah

Total Posts:  130

I’m entering a configurable product that will have a few attributes applied to it (Color, Size, etc.). Each one of these variations will have it’s own sku number, so why do I have to enter a sku number for the this general product line. Specifically I’m entering a product line of pants that will end up having several variants.

I suppose I can enter a SKU number for the general line, and then enter distinct sku numbers for the various variations I will import later, but technically the line of pants I’m adding (7000m) is just a product line and does not represent a specific pair of pants.

Am I making sense?
Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community