Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to upgrade form 1.5 to 1.6

mousepad

Total Posts:  83

Please I am begging now!!!! Anyone please tell me how to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6

I tried downloading the full 1.6 zip and then wen to the downloader and upload it via “upload package file”, does the upload and then says nothing was uploaded.

Then I read somewhere you can use the extension key “magento-core/Mage_All_Latest” . That just says “ Couldn’t resolve host ‘magento-core’ “

I don’t have access to SSH

Any instructions or tutorials would be great.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mousepad

wondering if I should use my invisibility for good or evil !

Magento Community
Magento Community

mousepad

I finally got this upgraded using just FTP and because help seams very hard to come by on these forums, I just wrote up the whole procedure of upgrading from 1.5.1.0 to 1.6.1.0 on Rackspace Cloud to try point others in the right direction.
Unfortunately, by the time I hit submit, it had logged me out and I lost everything I wrote.

So in very brief form. make a development server. on the current site disable all cacheing and compilations. Reindex the site and backup the database. Import the database into a new database. Copy the current site onto the development server. Overwrite all the files on the dev server with a clean download of Magento 1.6.1.0. Delete Cache and sessions folders in ‘var’ and delete ‘local.xml’ in app > etc.
Lauch dev site and follow install directions. Enter the new database you created and imported the old data into. It WILL error out “No nodes available or something like that”. Give it 15 minutes without touching anything, even though everything appears to have stopped doing anything. Navigate to the dev sever root and you should have an upgraded site. I found that reindexing the site was really important and missed out in other tutorials. Not sure why but I couldn’t get it to work until I did this and disabled compilations and cache.

Also when importing the database, make sure you empty the “log_” tables to bring down the size. The smaller the database the better chance of it working.

Good luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community