Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
this product should install easily.  Why doesn’t it? 

joyryde

Total Posts:  10

I agree, this software is by far the most difficult to install that I’ve ever tried, in 8 years of building ecommerce sites.

I WISH I could install it, we are trying to move our multi-million dollar company over to it, and can’t even get it to install, no less work.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kameko.rouge

Total Posts:  58

Ross - 19 January 2008 04:27 AM

kameko.rouge - 18 January 2008 02:56 PM
coeus - 18 January 2008 10:10 AM

...His problem is a problem many users on this forum are having. It’s the dreaded PDO error dump on step 3…

...first things first, the link to that ‘fixed’ php_pdo_mysql. dll should NOT be hosted on some techno dance site...

Magento is developed and tested on Linux, and that is the recommended platform.  The “dreaded PDO error” relates to a DLL problem on Windows.  (The original poster was trying to install on *nix systems, so that obviously wasn’t his problem).

Anyone dowloading DLLs for Windows from random untrusted websites is being foolish, and I’m sure Magento wouldn’t recommend it.

It’s not hard to install Linux on your PC if you want to test Magento, so why use Windows!?

thats a completely silly suggestion. php/mysql is supposed to be cross-platform. why should anyone have to install another OS just to test magento locally??? another reason to make it clear that magento is for developers only. hell, even the current theming mechanism in magento is over most peoples heads around these parts. all these random mentions about magento on some major sites touting magento’s usage obviously have never even attempted to install or theme it.

and sorry but magento devs DO suggest to download that file as indicated by the previous poster.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

joyryde - 19 January 2008 01:37 PM

I agree, this software is by far the most difficult to install that I’ve ever tried, in 8 years of building ecommerce sites.

I WISH I could install it, we are trying to move our multi-million dollar company over to it, and can’t even get it to install, no less work.

If Magento’s features provide a compelling solution to your needs but you don’t have the in-house skills for the migration and development, it would probably be a good option for you to consider outsourcing the development.  I expect that Varian, as well as other certified agencies will be offering such services in the near future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

frednurk

Total Posts:  3

wow, so much vitriol.
Here’s a little clarification.  I’m a developer and a sys admin.  I have been for a long time.  One of my occasional partners (a designer) is working on a project he wanted me to work on, and he talked up magento.  I thought I’d check it out.  However, I’m pretty busy, so the amount of time I’m willing to spend on installing something just to check it out and see if I want to work with it is about an hour.  After that, I’m not going to spend any more time trying to wrestle with it, simply because I have other things to do. 
I do really appreciate people who develop software for the general good, so I thought I’d leave some feedback on the board. I think that there are probably other people in my situation who will briefly check out some software like this but not have the time to become immersed in the details.  If it had installed, I would probably have spent some more time checking it out.
Also, one of the crashes I saw on one machine during installation WAS something to do with a raw dump of pdo errors, as someone mentioned.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

I’d have to agree and disagree with the poster of this thread.

It is true that Magento can be quite a nightmare to get it working,

if:

1) you have root but you do not have sufficient system admin (linux/win) knowledge (things like pdo_mysql for example)
2) you do not have root and you are stuck with a hosting provider that does not provide the requirements for Magento

Then in that case, only thing to do but upgrade, upgrade, upgrade! =)

And think about it on the bright side,

If it wasn’t for all these high strict requirements to get Magento running, you might not have Magento as you would get today.

It is all these latest fancy technologies Magento team is using which allows us to have a wonderful ecommerce application(for free no less)

On top of that, magento is still under heavy development but it has already set many new grounds to what an open source ecommerce should be like.

I’m sure Magento team could have built this application to work on all servers just like osCommerce but doing so will set them back 5 years in terms of coding design and pattern.

PHP 5 is a huge upgrade from PHP 4 and it really makes coding different from PHP 4.

I remember when osCommerce and zen cart first came out, they had security exploits after exploits and was a serious headache to system administrators.

But with PHP 5, I feel that the security risks are much lowered due to proper coding style and a more solid coding pattern.

Whichever you go at it, it is a do or die move by Varien but this is a move that should be honored by all open source developers around the world.

PHP 4 had some of the most security prone open source apps I have ever seen and I really feel it is about time PHP developers take the right move going forward.

Sure PHP 5 will also present unknown security hazaards, but the risks are much lowered than those of PHP 4.

Magento Community
Magento Community

daisychainsaw

Total Posts:  35

is the new magento 1.0 easier to install?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

@daisychainsaw: That seems to depend on who you ask.  Personally I had no issues at all with the Beta I installed about 2 months ago and now, with the same host and same domain name, I’m running into errors.  I’m sure none of them are insurmountable at this point, just speed bumps that I haven’t had time to fully troubleshoot.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2