Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Magento Connect Manager - 500 Internal Server Error

illusio

Total Posts:  1
Portland, OR

I just ran into the same issue while using the Magento downloader to install. Once it downloaded all of the core files, I received the same 500 Internal Server Error. So I checked out the server error log via cPanel X and discovered permissions issues on these three files were set to “666”:

magento/index.php
magento/install.php
magento/downloader/index.php

I changed permissions of these files to “755” and everything installed correctly. Of course this will be different on every server. So, I’d recommend checking your error logs instead of deleting any .htaccess files. Hope this helps.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DIYWebStudio

Total Posts:  2

well, i am newbie with Magento too.
I tried to re-install 5 times and finally got the site done.

For Above question - Magento Connect Manager. (i don know work in your site or not, but my site is working by setting as below)

Downloader folder set to 755
index.php set to 755

then working for me.

Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikew@flaman.com

Total Posts:  17

illusio - 06 October 2010 09:07 PM

I just ran into the same issue while using the Magento downloader to install. Once it downloaded all of the core files, I received the same 500 Internal Server Error. So I checked out the server error log via cPanel X and discovered permissions issues on these three files were set to “666”:

magento/index.php
magento/install.php
magento/downloader/index.php

I changed permissions of these files to “755” and everything installed correctly. Of course this will be different on every server. So, I’d recommend checking your error logs instead of deleting any .htaccess files. Hope this helps.

When I changed those I started getting the 500 error on my public side. I tried setting /downloader/index.php to 644 (what the other 2 were before) it didn’t work but setting root/index.php back to 644 got it working again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spez86

Total Posts:  22

I have had Magento installed for ages, working fine. Today, I click on Connect Manager and BAM! 500 error.

I haven\’t changed anything including file permissions. Directories 755 and files 644. The only thing that\’s pointing to an error is the logs:

[Thu Nov 25 17:51:39 2010] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] File does not exist: /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/401.shtml

The rest of the backend and admin works absolutely fine. The only thing I\’ve done recently is change the Admin URL. There were problems with this and I\’ve now corrected those, but it seems this 500 error has happened since. I don\’t know if the two are related but since it worked absolutely fine until today, i can\’t point the finger anywhere else.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

imacache

Total Posts:  35
Durango, CO

Spez86 - 25 November 2010 02:11 PM

I have had Magento installed for ages, working fine. Today, I click on Connect Manager and BAM! 500 error.

I haven\’t changed anything including file permissions. Directories 755 and files 644. The only thing that\’s pointing to an error is the logs:

[Thu Nov 25 17:51:39 2010] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] File does not exist: /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/401.shtml

The rest of the backend and admin works absolutely fine. The only thing I\’ve done recently is change the Admin URL. There were problems with this and I\’ve now corrected those, but it seems this 500 error has happened since. I don\’t know if the two are related but since it worked absolutely fine until today, i can\’t point the finger anywhere else.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Same exact thing happened to me.  Never looked at the logs, but i disabled compilation and flushed all every cache.  It immediately worked for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

istvannonn

Total Posts:  11
Oradea

I just checked the \"Error log\” from cPanel and got this message:
[date of error] [error] [client IP] File does not exist: /home/domain/public_html/500.shtml
[date of error] [error] [client IP] SoftException in Application.cpp:601: Directory \"/home/domain/public_html/eshop/downloader\" is writeable by group

Then set Downloader folder to 755 and index.php set to 755,
that\’s it, working for me.

Thanks to DIYWebStudio.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ladle

Total Posts:  173

Setting index.php inside of Downloader folder to 644 worked for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stone aspon

Anjan Barik solution work for me....

Magento Community
Magento Community

letusdoitbetter

thanks ,good luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shirokovskiy

Total Posts:  28
Russian Federation

in my case

any changes of permissions for files/directories didn’t give any result except of 500 Intenal Error

so, I’ve looked at error_log of Apache, and found this string

/home/user/project/www/downloader/.htaccessInvalid command 'RemoveOutputFilter'perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

I’ve opened .htaccess in /downloader
commented 2 strings

#    RemoveOutputFilter DEFLATE
#    RemoveOutputFilter GZIP

then, Magento Connect Manager does work

Magento Community
Magento Community

lukey2

Total Posts:  5

i was using magento 1.6.0 and one day for no reason had a jquery conflict with prototype.js and the forums said it was a conflict with the downloader, so i went to magento connect and re installed the downloader. then the whole site went into a server 500 error. mm magento is the worst software i have ever used, I have spent so much time on this, im too far into to clear it. so, again, i have to trouble shoot. I have just found this php script which sorted it for me. Its a life saver.

http://www.seeor.com/how-to-solve-500-internal-server-error-when-install-magento.html

I have attched the php file to the attchments upload of the forum post.

its a one php script which you upload to the root and open it in the browser, it will check all the files and folders and set all the permissions correctly, it should be part of the magento core. anyway, you have the link, i hope it helps someone.

I will put a copy on my website u-name.co.uk under magento, where I put all my little snippets of code I find that gets me out the crapper with this software. Hopefully my code snippets will help other people.

http://www.u-name.co.uk/free/magento/code-snippets-and-tutorials.html

regards Luke

File Attachments
magento-cleanup.php  (File Size: 3KB - Downloads: 267)

Magento Community
Magento Community

CDHalwatura

Total Posts:  3

Uploading magento-cleanup.php and after executing that file my problem solved. It’s work for me. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Montealegre222

Anjan Barik - 13 September 2010 10:32 PM

It’s so easy to do ,this is due to only for the file permission change the file permission to 755 for downloader and index.php inside the downloader. For more visit http://xhtmlandcsshelp.blogspot.com/2010/09/magento-connect-manager-internal-server.html

It works for me. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anjalykv1947

For solving this issue, change the permission value of files in downloader folder on the root directory of our site. make the permission value as 644.

Magento Community
Magento Community

usjdn2

using magento-cleanup.php solced the problem for me. I had no compiler running, basically I did not touch anything but couldn’t reach the admin area.... I ran the cleanup script and it worked. thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3