Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
poor search results

pixelpusher

Total Posts:  135
SoCal

The default search on the top of the page yields poor results. If something id misspelled or an extra word is added or pluralized no results come back. This is very frustrating to see searches ALMOST match my product titles and see 0 search results… something needs to be done to enhance the search. I tried looking for other posts but as you can imagine its quite difficult to search for “search” I saw one blog article that is ages old. http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/inside-magento-7-product-search/ I’m not sure if its supposed to work like this but it sure would be nice…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

I am hoping they will implement Lucene or a distributed search so that it is 1) more accurate 2) way, way, way faster.

It is currently on the roadmap, so one of these days we will see it. I might implement one of the search engines based on Lucene for my site in a few months. If I do I will release it to the community as it should be a fairly simple module.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

The enhanced search extension may help?

http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/492/enhanced-search

Magento Community
Magento Community

pixelpusher

Total Posts:  135
SoCal

does this extension do anything that 1.2.0.1 doesn’t? I would really like spelling suggestions etc. the current search is no where close to what they have outlined here. http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/inside-magento-7-product-search/
Also it would be nice if the searches included the static blocks and cms pages. It doesn’t really “search the entire site here...” as stated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tradiArt
Guru

Total Posts:  379
Spain

pixelpusher,

Thank you very much for your post, I agree with you that to find articles with “search” it is extremely difficult.

At this moment I’m losing lots of customers that are searching for products. Also I have several stores, and would love the ability to search in all stores, not only in the current one.

Both links provided in this post are useless.

pixelpusher, have you managed to get a better search experience in Magento?

Thank you!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrchriswcr

Total Posts:  12

How can I control the sort order I was really hoping to do is control exactly what comes up when someone searches. Everything from what comes up, but more importantly what order it comes up in. It would be pretty powerful for me to have a product I picked come up first for a particular search. Any thoughts on how I can change the order?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kamranp

Total Posts:  10

mrchriswcr - 08 February 2010 12:16 PM

How can I control the sort order I was really hoping to do is control exactly what comes up when someone searches. Everything from what comes up, but more importantly what order it comes up in. It would be pretty powerful for me to have a product I picked come up first for a particular search. Any thoughts on how I can change the order?

This is a late answer but might help someone. Put in the following to /app/design/frontend/default/yourtemplate/template/catalogsearch/form.mini.phtml within the <form id="search_mini_form" tag

<input type="hidden" name="order" value="relevance">
<input type="hidden" name="dir" value="desc">

Magento Community
Magento Community

i95_Dev

Total Posts:  19
Washington, DC

At last the search come to end by using this extension u can search even incorrect spelling keywords, without loosing customers.
Not need to configure anything. just install this Extension. See the videos for more info

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/i95Dev/extension/7142/i95dev_like_search

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rocket Web

Total Posts:  28
Naperville, IL

We’ve been wrestling with poor search results in various instances for a while now.  We’re currently collecting feedback about specific store search results on our site.  If you can give us a bad search phrase on your site and what products you expect to see that would be very helpful.  If you leave your contact info, we’ll let you know when our extension launches: http://www.rocketweb.com/improving-magento-search-part-2.html

-Matt
magento developer

Magento Community
Magento Community

safisch

Total Posts:  24

Is there a way to improve the logic of the search?  It appears that when someone uses multiple search terms that it uses the “or” operator rather than the “and” operator.  This causes magento to return too many products and make the search grossly irrelevant.

For example, a customer recently searched on my site for “airgun scope.” This search returned 1573 results when, in reality, it should have returned no more than around 15 results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

idesign

Total Posts:  15
Atlanta, GA

Take a look at this post, was able to fix our issue which sounds identical:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/213559/#t308766

Magento Community
Magento Community

magecoders

Total Posts:  42

Hi

Take a look our free default search extension which provide support for latest magento version, and optimize the poor search results.

http://www.magecoders.com/index.php/magento-extensions/enhanced-default-search-for-magento.html

Regards,

MageCoders

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mirasvit
Guru

Total Posts:  639

Hi

Take a look this search extension which enables the Sphinx-powered search with high-performance and more relevant search results.

Advanced Sphinx Search Pro

Image Attachments
sphinx_compare_results.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

esterman

Total Posts:  5

Hey guys,

I’d like to share my fix for the poor search results in Magento. The search engine is actually very good, you just have to customize your Magento attributes so that the search will work any way you want.

Basically, Magento comes with some unnecessary attributes set to be “searchable” in the store. Some of these are the short description, description and so on.

All you have to do to improve search results is go to: CATALOG - ATTRIBUTES - MANAGE ATTRIBUTES

Filter results to show only “searchable: YES” attributes and you will discover which attributes are searchable in quick or advanced search. You can then edit attributes so they will not be searchable.

What I did to make my searches great (quick search especially) was to leave only MANUFACTURER, NAME and SKU as searchable, and added META KEYWORDS to that as well.

With this rule setup, I can add the special - or different - keywords you need for each product in their META KEYWORD field.

For example, if someone searches for “iPhone” they will only find iPhones and related products which have this string in the name. If they search for Apple, they will find all apple manufactured products and if they search for “Smartphone” they will find all smartphones because all smartphones in the store have this string in their META KEYWORD fields.

You might think this will affect SEO, but it doesn’t. Google (the most important search engine) does not consider this meta tag relevant for ranking. Actually, they ignore the META KEYWORDS tag so this will basically be useful in your own website or some funky old search engines out there.

With this technique, you can customize search results to work the way you need.

Another idea would be to include the “URL KEY” as a searchable attribute, since you usually put important and exclusive keywords there for each product.

It worked like a charm for me!!

Best of luck! Eduardo

Magento Community
Magento Community

ec0mmerce

Total Posts:  242

Hello

Feel free to use this Search Auto Complete plugin which amends search functionality by showing up the relevant results in no time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageWorxcom
Guru

Total Posts:  410
Washington DC Metro Area, US

Hello,

Check the Extended Search extension. It has a built-in search engine, which calculates “weight” of each product based on priority of attributes.
It also integrates the Sphinx and Solr search engines.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2