Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

copy magento 1.5 store to a new magento 1.6

gilmr

Total Posts:  10

I have a magento 1.5 store. I’ve created another store with magento 1.6 with new theme and everything and I want to copy my database (products, clients, sales) to the new one, is it possible? How can I do it?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

This is from the WIKI I wrote on manual upgrades:

Pre-install
Your pre-install prep-work will save you hours and hours of work after you have done you upgrade. The more methodical you are in your preparation, the smother your upgrade will go.

Make sure you server is configured properly!
Set your DNS ttl to 300 or less. Do this now or you make forget later!
Clear and turn your cache off
Make sure Apache Timeout is set to 18000
Set max_execution time on PHP to 0
Anyone else please add additions here!!!
Identify and list modules to go to upgraded version
You may not need all you modules brought over and some modules will not be compatible in a newer version. Each one must be checked and tested.
Make sure to check your Local and Community Folder.
If you have a local/Mage folder you will need to check if the code is compatible with the version you are upgrading to.
Identify theme components to transfer
Make sure all your theme files are in the correct folders and more importantly make sure you theme is compatible with the version you are upgrading to. It is best to test your upgrade on the default theme, then slowing add in just the theme files you need for your theme. There are layout files that are specific to the newer versions of Magento and it is important that these files are used for you install. A good example is checkout.xml.
Identify external components that need to function with new version, review on Magento integration options (i.e. does it make sense to make the external app a Magento app or leave it as an external app)
This also includes API‘s that are running and/or loading Mage out side of Magento. Sometimes it make sense to move these external apps to proper Magento extensions.
Dump old database and restore in new database
mysqldump -u user -p ‘password’ -h host olddatabase > yourdump.sql
mysql -u user -p ‘password’ -h host newdatabase < yourdump.sql
Database Upgrade
Export Live database to an SQL dump file (db-YY-MM-DD-pre.sql)
Transfer db-YY-MM-DD-pre.sql to the dedicated database upgrade server and imported into the local MySQL instance
Navigate to your sites main page to instantiate the upgrade process. For more advanced users: Execute “nohup php index.php > log-YY-MM-DD_1 &”
Let process run until finished
Re-index site
Export Upgraded database to an SQL dump file (db-YY-MM-DD-post.sql)
Transfer db-YY-MM-DD-post.sql to the production machine and import into the local MySQL instance
Post Upgrade
Correct Store Issues (Update so admin can login!)
Execute necessary scripts
Enter Admin panel and set the following configuration values:
Themes and packages set to default
Refresh cache and indexes
Turn on “Display out of stock products” System>Configuration>Catalog>Inventory>Stock Options: Display out of Stock Products to “Yes”
Update CMS Page and Static Blocks
Set order number higher
Launch
Switch the Apache vhost references to point to the new instance, disable the old instance
Restart Apache
Site is now live

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/manual_upgrade_using_fresh_install_and_original_database

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cyclops19

Total Posts:  134

save your media folder for new site and your skin /your-theme folder also .
Here\’s method I came across , not sure if it works but is similar to way i do upgrades . The problem with way I do is I have downtime till getting site back ,This way say\’s no downtime .
=================================
Upgrading your magento site without downtime
Before you put on a load of changes to a live site it’s advised to test. Obviously we hope you’ve tested locally, etc, but what if you have an external theme that’s been updated, and how do you test in as close to live as possible?  Here is your answer:
1.  Backup your live database – see here for more info
2.  Backup your Magento site completely
3.  Create a new directory under your magento install called test
4.  Copy the Magento site files into this test directory, maintaining permissions (e.g. tar xvfp)
5.  Make a new database with a new name on your site
6.  Import the live database backup – you may want to disable foreign key checks when doing import
7.  Modify the core_config_table base_urls to point to your test location, e.g. http://www.mysite.com/test/
8.  Modify app/etc/local.xml to use the new database
9.  Run up frontend/backend and make sure is working
You now have a fully working test site.  You can then make your changes on this without affecting the live site.
Once you are happy everything is working you can then either redirect people to use this new location, or do what I do and move your old site to a different subdirectory, and put your new site in the httpdocs folder.
The big advantage of this approach is that if you find an issue a couple of days down the line you can easily just move back to the old server – it’s still there in the background.  I’d advise you switch off checkout so people can’t use the old version.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandrable

Total Posts:  55

This is exactly what you need: http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/shopping-cart-migration-options/223-magento-to-magento-migration/ This service is automated and it will move all your database to your store in no time. They’ve been on the market for over 2 yrs now and the service is truly great. Try it

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community