Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

which platform is better for e-commerce website? 

niteshahir

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

i am php developer my website is http://www.esparkinfo.com/ & this is PHP base website but i need to make new website related e commerce shopping portal…
my new website will be on espark printing

so any one can suggest me on which plate forum i have to create a site?

i have seen too many benefits in magento but still I am little bit confuse to which plate form is better for me..

kindly suggested me…
Thank you.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Well what is your criteria?  What features the new shop must have?

Magento Community
Magento Community

niteshahir

hi,

i am looking for a better platform for my new site… which would be e commerce shopping portal… printing & banners… so i want to know the best platform as a point of view development & SEO as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hi, Magento probably the best e-commerce platform at the moment, it is free and open source.  However the learning process is not so easy as you could imagine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrBaseball34

Total Posts:  164

If I were starting out without having a huge need for a large volume store, I would use Prestashop. It is also free and open-source, plus, it is 100% easier to learn to use AND develop than Magento. Magento is targeted towards larger volume sites with dedicated developer resources.

I will say, too that learning Magento can be very taxing on your nerves as well as your sanity.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rondata3

Total Posts:  20

MrBaseball34 - 05 October 2011 08:21 AM

If I were starting out without having a huge need for a large volume store, I would use Prestashop. It is also free and open-source, plus, it is 100% easier to learn to use AND develop than Magento. Magento is targeted towards larger volume sites with dedicated developer resources.

I will say, too that learning Magento can be very taxing on your nerves as well as your sanity.

Depends on who you ask. We have a great volume here with folks who know their stuff wink It’s not so much of a headache as you might imagine. We have 500k users, 5000 extensions and THOUSANDS of magneto shops are live.

However, these are not the Prestashop forums. You will probably get a better audience on their forums for any presta shop type questions wink

Regards,

Rhonda

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rhonda_Rondeau
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  924
Culver City

OOOOPS sorry! Was on the wrong account wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrBaseball34

rondata3 - 05 October 2011 01:23 PM

MrBaseball34 - 05 October 2011 08:21 AM

Depends on who you ask. We have a great volume here with folks who know their stuff ;) It’s not so much of a headache as you might imagine. We have 500k users, 5000 extensions and THOUSANDS of magneto shops are live.

However, these are not the Prestashop forums. You will probably get a better audience on their forums for any presta shop type questions ;)

Regards,

Rhonda

There was never a question posted here for Prestashop. I just said that if I were starting out, I would use Prestashop instead of Magento.

There may be 500k Users and many “folks who know their stuff” but they aren’t sharing their knowledge in these forums. The number of unanswered, unreplied topics is ludicrous. I beg to differ that it is “not so much of a headache” as I have been a software developer for over 20 yrs and a PHP developer for more than 10 yrs and found that the Magento codebase to be extremely difficult to understand and a database structure that does not allow users to query their data in normal manners. I can’t even use an external reporting tool to build my own reports from my data because of the EAV schema.

If you want your product to grow, support it. I guess the number of answers here means that Magento Community edition is dying and I say good riddance because we are DUMPING Magento in the next 2 months.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LaSch

Total Posts:  1

Hi,

The last PrestaShop upgrade seemed to be promising. However, when I visited their forum last time I saw dozens of forum threads that reported different types of bugs and mistakes. So, at the moment it is not stable and it would be a bad decision now to move your store to Presta.
At the same time Magento remains quite reliable platform with unlimited customization options and functionality. So, if you are choosing between these two the choice is quite simple.
Other open source platforms like osCommerce, Zen Cart or OpenCart in my opinion simply doesn’t provide merchants with enough features.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrBaseball34

That may be related to the new 1.5 version. However, I will say that version any 1.4x version is absolutely stable and a whole ton easier to understand and program than Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdfnntD

You can take a look at: threehosts.com
There you can reach the three reputable companies that are leaders in the E-commerce web hosting industry. They fulfill all your requirements to sell online. By using each of them, everything you need for your business website is provided in one eCommerce Hosting Package. Review all three presented services and refer to their websites to get further information.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zentec

Total Posts:  19

It breaks down as follows from the simplest to the most complex.

Simple: WordPress WP e-Commerce, wooCommerce
Online: Volusion, BigCommerce, Shopify
Between the two: Magento Go
Small: PrestaShop, Zen Cart, osCommerce
Between the two: Magento
Mid: Hybris, Demandware (online)
Enterprise: ATG, IBM WebSphere

Magento is more complex to install and configure however is the closest to the mid to enterprise solutions. Hybris onwards are commercial products which require consultants to implement. It depends on whether you need multi-currency, multi-language, large product volumes, multi-channel eCommerce which is where the mid and enterprise solutions come in to their own.

Magento Community
Magento Community

egrovesystems

Total Posts:  36

Magento is the best platform for ecommerce website and moreover magento is a developing website.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nChannel
Guru

Total Posts:  329

Magento is one of the best, if not the best, eCommerce platform available today. With so many plugins and extensions to handle pretty much any feature you require, along with its ease of use and SEO friendly setup, it’s a no brainer. We have a number of clients that use Magento and have been satisfied for years. Magento also makes it easy to eventually sync and integrate with other systems you may have like POS, Accounting and ERP systems.

Best of luck!

Darren
nChannel.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

egrovesystems

Total Posts:  36

Magento ,Wordpress , Python are some of the better web development for ecommerce.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnexPaul

Total Posts:  3

Magento commerce is one of the most excellent Open Source solution which offers peerless control over an eCommerce management system available in the world today. It provides amazing flexibility for Online store and Website Owner. The administration interface of Magento has powerful search engine optimization, marketing, and catalog-management tools to provide the traders with the power to develop websites that are designed to meet their unique business requirements.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community