Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

HTACESS

kevinsmith

Total Posts:  9

Hi,

I cannot use htacces with my host, i started on a project using zencart and in the end i had to rename the htaccess files in order for the site to format properly.

I have downloaded the 9mb fiile from Magento and uploaded the unzipped files to my htdocs on my host server.

As soon as i ran the installation i got the dreaded 500 error and i knew straight away it was the htaccess file.  I renamed it and sure enough the page loaded and i agreed to the terms but hitting the continue button does nothing.

I know it has something to do with the htacces files, my question is am i flogging a dead horse here?

Magento has the look and feel that i want Zencart is an excellent program but i want to try something new with the project i have on the go now.

I have read the step by step guides and been through just about every post about the htacces file but im struggling.  i am not an expert, so i will be relying on the communities help and support.

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

kevinsmith - 17 January 2008 03:41 AM

I know it has something to do with the htacces files, my question is am i flogging a dead horse here?

Maybe, maybe not.

I find it difficult to believe you aren’t able to use .htaccess at all on your host, normally it’s just a matter of configurating it, which as you’ve found can be somewhat troublesome.

Failing that, try a better host, or one that has been mentioned here on the forums and has an install guide and give that a whirl…

This thread has a list of the various install guides:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/1647/

Magento Community
Magento Community

kevinsmith

I have been through all the threads here and the intallation seems very straight forward.

I was asked by my host to rename the htaccess file to resolve the issue, and it did with zencart.  They told me and quite rightly so they do not support 3rd party intallations. 

Is there a workaround?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

What do they suggest then?

Failing that, get a new host…

Magento Community
Magento Community

kevinsmith

I had all the issues with Zencart with this host.  Magento is new to me and i did not want to go through all the messing about with the host who simply told me to rename the htaccess file and that solved my problem with Zen.

I was hoping that someone in this community may give a wrokaround or possbile solution.  If its a case of modifying the htaccess to meet my host needs then perhaps this is one avenue i could explore.

The thing is Zen runs without the htaccess no problem, can i run Magento the same?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@kevinsmith: If you do not wish to use apache rewrites, and have correct settings in system php.ini (short_open_tag = on) you might not need .htaccess starting with version 0.7

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community