Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 without SSH/ manually / or using magento connect

fynder

Total Posts:  6

Hi, I need to upgrade to 1.6. I don’t have ssh. Please help!!!
Thanks in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DFS

Total Posts:  25

magento connect never works… I wish magento was a bit easier to update.

I have the same issue....

Magento Community
Magento Community

aaronwallace

Total Posts:  59

Here is a great link: How to Upgrade Magento via SSH/ Magento Connect/ and Manually
http://www.expertmagentodevelopers.com/blog

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Total Posts:  218

I suppose this will be another topic that never gets an answer, but I’d still like to know if there is a reliable answer to this question. I’m on the Rackspace Cloud using cloud sites which means no SSH. No need to ask them any more they won’t allow jailed ssh or anything of the sort. Is there no way to upgrade WITHOUT using command line/SSH? Surely someone must have an answer to this question.

Magento Community
Magento Community

beeplogic

Total Posts:  7

You could (should) setup a dev server, upgrade on there and run all necessary tests. Then transfer your files over to your server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

beeplogic - 13 November 2011 10:13 PM

You could (should) setup a dev server, upgrade on there and run all necessary tests. Then transfer your files over to your server.

I’ve got a test site set up, and that’s where I do make all my adjustments/tests, but there still isn’t a way to upgrade that I’ve found without SSH.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

@RobOrr:: You can upgrade via FTP by copying all the core files to your development project and hitting the site. The upgrade process will automatically start

(I would never recommend doing this on a production environment)

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Thanks for the reply Brent. I did that with the 1.5 > 16 and had a problem in a test environment. The site won’t load. It’s an exact replica of the live site and I downloaded then uploaded via FTP the new version and now the site won’t load. I’m clearly missing something. Any help you might be able to provide would be most appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandrable

Total Posts:  55

@RobOrr,

If you don’t have SSH, you can make the upgrade with this extension: http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/shopping-cart-migration-options/223-magento-to-magento-migration. It seems it’s the only solution there is for now.

This should help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Okay - cleaned house and started from scratch again in the dev site. Restored to the dev site a copy of the 1.5 version along with a copy of the DB. I transferred via FTP all the the new files for a 1.6 version and it just goes to a white screen - nothing. That’s obviously not a good way to do this.

What if I installed a fresh copy of 1.6, create a new database, then added in my theme files and then imported a copy of the database from the 1.5 version? Anyone know if that will work? I don’t know how the changes for 1.5 > 1.6 will affect doing that, so that’s why I’m asking. There seems to be some sort of hang-up here with the DB that causes this problem. I know that with other CMS-type systems (Drupal & WP) there are database updates that need to be run when you upgrade from one edition to the next, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to fire those updates in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Robb,

If you follow this method it is fairly bullet proof. You can do everything via FTP.

Make sure you folder is writable in the beginning

You don’t need to copy theme files until after you upgrade is complete.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/manual_upgrade_using_fresh_install_and_original_database

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community