Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Simply How do I upgrade Magento? 

violins

Total Posts:  8

I have been delaying upgrading Magento for months now, and now it strikes me why. Why is it so hard to find a simple guide on how to upgrade Magento? I do NOT have SSH.

I’m currently running 1.4.1.1 (according to my admin panel)

First I downloaded the latest stable version of Magento (1.6.0) but it did not find any documentation on how to upgrade from a previous version. The Upgrade Guide in the Download Section states that it is not valid for upgrading after 1.4.x

Then I found out about the downloader and tried using this. This seemed to work fine, except that I’m still running v. 1.4.1.1. Something has apparently been updated, but it is obviously not the core Magento application.
According to Magento Connect Manager (AKA downloader) there are no available upgrades:

Lib_LinLibertineFont    2.8.14.0 (stable
Lib_PEAR    1.4.0.0 (stable)
Lib_Phpseclib    1.5.0.0 (stable
Lib_Mage    1.6.0.0 (stable
Mage_Downloader    1.6.0.0 (stable)
Mage_Locale_en_US    1.6.0.0 (stable)
According to my admin panel I’m still running 1.4.1.1. It works fine.
But how can I upgrade to a later version?

And if I have to Upgrade manually; which files folders/should I replace and which ones should I keep?
Should I run install.php after installing the files?
Please, anyone..

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

Upgrade via SSH is highly recommended way.

You can also try to upgrade it manually:
If you will connect new Magento files with old database, it will try to update database automatically.
After this you can try to move current design template to the latest Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

violins

Thanks for your reply. So I should theoretically just extract the application on the server and then visit the store in my browser.
No install script required..?
I suppose there should at least be a db config file that ought to be put back on the server i order for Magento to access the database?
Do I need to upgrade v1.4.1 via v1.4.2 or can I go straigt to 1.6.0?

What’s with the downloader? Should I not be able to use it for upgrading the core application?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nht48823

Total Posts:  91

did it work? I am planing to do upgrade from 1.4 t o 1.6 just hoping all goes well....

here is my game plan.
remove 4.1 from the server -
install fresh 1.6 with new db
change the database settings to old....

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

violins

So far not, I’m afraid.
Here’s hat I did:
I made a duplicate of my database. (Extremely difficult to make a true replica of the DB in phpMyAdmin. I dumped both DB’s to my computer and used BBEdit to search for any differences between the new and the old SQL file, to make sure I got everything right.)

Then I created a new directory where I installed the magento 1.6.0 files, along with my theme, my locale and my media files.
I copied the app/etc/local.xml to my new install and pointed it to my new database.
Then visited my new store location in my browser.

My shop never loaded and the install process seemed to end in a loop, constantly trying to alter tables.
The day after my database connection was terminated by my webhost, as it was slowing down their servers.

Has anyone had any better luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

nht48823

Total Posts:  91

I am afraid too...the only thing i can think of is install fresh copy dump old data into each table of new database. I have tried SSH update no luck.  you might want look into core config - i think you have sub dir installation and your database maybe pointing to the main site....

Magento Community
Magento Community

violins

Sorry, forgot to mention:
Yes I did change core_congig_data where path=’web/unsecure/base_url’ or path=’web/secure/base_url’ before attempting to load the site.

you might want look into core config - i think you have sub dir installation and your database maybe pointing to the main site....

Magento Community
Magento Community

violins

I just had another go. And this time successful.
This time I did not include my theme, locale or media files before upgrading.
I restored my database from dump.
I made a fresh installation of magento in an empty directory.
Then added my original app/etc/locale.xml to point to connect to the DB.
Then changed the base urls in core_config_data table to match my installation path.

Then visited my new magento installation in my browser. Waited an hour. Emptied my cache and rebooted both my computer and broadband modem.
Next time I visited the core installation was complete and I could start adding my template and other files.
cheese

Magento Community
Magento Community

GPutignano

Total Posts:  214
Lauria - Italy

For people having trouble upgrading please try to upgrade as shown in this thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewreply/351743/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rakesh Alhan

Total Posts:  13
Gurgaon, India

Hi,
I was facing problems while upgrading magento from 1.2 to 1.4. Then i got the luck to resolve that. I think you need to follow the same steps to upgrade magento from 1.4 to 1.6 or to any other higher versions.
Please follow
http://rakeshalhan.blogspot.in/2011/09/problem-resolved-base-table-or-view.html
or http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/229763/

Still if problem will not resolve, please update me. I will feel happy to help you.
Thanks,
Rakesh Alhan

Magento Community
Magento Community

zafardeveloper

Total Posts:  2

Magento is vast eCommerce online shopping cart development tool, and magento community and official peoples are keep upgrading with the new version of magento in eCommerce market with new structured development, and everybody wants their should be upgraded with the latest version of magento, and i can say this is not a big job to upgrade if everything is professionally installed.

But you need to aware of few things before upgrading your online store with latest one.

1. Backup your source files.

2. Go to magento backend – Systems >> Tools >> Backup and create backup.

3. You can also create backup using phpmyadmin but it is often getting failed due to time limit in php.ini so just go with System >> tools >> Backup only or else you can dump the magento database using ssh command.

4. Verify the code.

5. You need to confirm if you have done any core hacks in php files of magento MVC structure because on upgradation it will override all the core files of magento and clear your changes and will override with new code.

6. Download all the source code via FTP or control panel.

7. Truncate(remove) cache from /var/cache.

8. Truncate(remove) session from /var/session.

After clearing all above steps just follow below steps to upgrade your magento web store.

1. Just go to you browser and open http://www.yourwebstorename.com/downloader/
2. Access above URL with the user who have all the access over store in nutshell use Administrator.
3. Then just paste the “magento-core/Mage_All_Latest” in the extension install box and just press enter.
4. It will upgrade all the magento core modules automatically.
5. After successfully upgradation just clear your cache and session again.
6. hurrey you are done,

Now what if somebody wants to upgrade specific core modules with the latest code.

just use below commands in the extension installation box in http://www.yourmagentostore.com/downloader

>> magento-core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default
>> magento-core/Interface_Frontend_Default
>> magento-core/Interface_Install_Default
>> magento-core/Mage_Core_Adminhtml
>> magento-core/Mage_Core_Modules

For more information regarding any Magento development and PSD To Magento conversion services please feel free to contact us.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MarieMorel

Total Posts:  9

Hi there,

here is an alternative way on how to perform upgrade. Generally you just use cart2cart to migrate your database from one version of magento to another and then configure your modules and design. This way is that it is much easier than traditional upgrade. And there is a nice option when you can migrate all your urls in order to save your Google ranking. hope this info will be useful.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

This post describes a pretty fail-safe method to upgrade Magento:

http://magentoissues.com/2013/06/12/how-to-upgrade-magento-through-ssh/

We always upgrade Magento this way. It requires SSH, but that is really the only reliable way to upgrade Magento imho. Most of the problems people have with Magento upgrades are related to incompatible themes/templates. Once you get the theme files sorted out, it should work.

Also, be very careful to load the website ONLY ONCE to trigger the database upgrade after you have upgraded the code base. That means you need to disable access temporarily from other than your own IP, or use a staging site as the above blog post suggests.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community