Hi I am researching on the same issues....please take a look at below info I found…
also there is a video link on the bottom (btw, I still have not figured out how to get images from datafeeds into Magento, if you have info, please let me know)
I spent about a week trying to understand how this works and I finally got it. Here is what I have done that has worked for me. You have to use the profiles. Don\\\’t use the plain import/export.
1. Create a product in magneto.
2. go to the system import/export data profiles and select the export data profile.
3. Run it. (it will save a file in your /var/export folder.)
4. Open in excel and use the column headers from the export file. Do not change or move them!
5. Add your data to the columns. When in doubt leave it blank.
6. Save it as a CSV.
7. Open CSV in Notepad++ (google and downoad if you don\\\’t have it). Scroll to the very bottom and there should be a blank line. delete it so there is no blank space at the bottom.
8. In Notepad++ selecet Encoding and select \\\"convert to UTF-8
9. Click save, not save as
10. Follow upload instructions in the guide. It should work.
Note: I export my data form mysql workbench as a csv. I wrote a script that puts everything in place. I go form the csv export right to notepad++. If you can do that and skip excel you will have less troubles.