Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

External Data Feed

robinnamur

Total Posts:  10

Hello,

I have a client who wishes to use a dropshipper as the supplier of products.  I have searched and searched and not found any valuable information or instructions regarding external data feeds.  Is there someone who could walk me through the process step by step, or is there an online tutorial or set of instructions on how to do this?  I need the products, prices, and inventory to come from an external database.

Regards,

Robin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mage_zafar

Total Posts:  74
Pune

I have done similar kind of functionality earlier where product inventory data comes in XML format from external system and then XML was parsed and inventories were updated in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

envisionweb

Total Posts:  20
Orlando, FL

So then does someone have an answer to the external data feed issue that they can post here? I have been using Magento since day 1 and have several clients using the Magento eCommerce solution yet I have 1 client for almost 2 years still hounding me to get a cart set up but he uses a drop shipper and I have no answers on how to do product updates via XML data feed. 

Can ANYONE help? PLEEASE?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mage_zafar

Total Posts:  74
Pune

Hi Envisionweb,

Please check your PM.

Magento Community
Magento Community

saintcruz

Total Posts:  1

Hi I am researching on the same issues....please take a look at below info I found…

also there is a video link on the bottom (btw, I still have not figured out how to get images from datafeeds into Magento, if you have info, please let me know)

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-using-magentos-import-export-profiles
ammonlee
I spent about a week trying to understand how this works and I finally got it. Here is what I have done that has worked for me. You have to use the profiles. Don\\\’t use the plain import/export. 
1. Create a product in magneto. 
2. go to the system import/export data profiles and select the export data profile. 
3. Run it. (it will save a file in your /var/export folder.)
4. Open in excel and use the column headers from the export file. Do not change or move them! 
5. Add your data to the columns. When in doubt leave it blank. 
6. Save it as a CSV. 
7. Open CSV in Notepad++ (google and downoad if you don\\\’t have it). Scroll to the very bottom and there should be a blank line. delete it so there is no blank space at the bottom. 
8. In Notepad++ selecet Encoding and select \\\"convert to UTF-8
9. Click save, not save as
10. Follow upload instructions in the guide. It should work. 

Note: I export my data form mysql workbench as a csv. I wrote a script that puts everything in place. I go form the csv export right to notepad++. If you can do that and skip excel you will have less troubles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/magentocommerce#p/u/13/OBBR_zKFxPU

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community