Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Common Carrier Freight Shipping Integration…

andwhite1

Total Posts:  6

Any plans for addressing this tough problem for us who ship large items common carrier (read furniture).  Not everyone who sells on the web sell little items that can be shipped UPS/FEDEX/DHL.  The complexity of freight shipping is a barrier to entry to large item ecommerce. If you can simplify this process some you would earn a whole lot more users who are deperately looking for this type of solution.  It is a glaring blind spot in the ecommerce world.

Rate quotes
Tracking
Proof of Delivery
Bill of Lading

Because I am so nice I will even give a good place to start to find a partner for this...They are definitely the most far along in their web integration.

The Yellow frieght web API calculator. Maybe there are better solutions that include good other carriers.  However this is a good place to start as they are a national shipper and most common carrier shipping prices and quotes will be close to theirs.

http://www.myyellow.com/dynamic/services/content/ecommerce/etools/webservices/index.jsp?PARENT=yfscjwebintegration
http://www.yellowapi.com/

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

bekasu

Total Posts:  4

I second the request for freight shipping.

I sell Automotive parts (hoods, bumper covers, ground effects).  These have to ship via freight.  Dimensions are important (e.g., 79 inches x 62 inches x 8 inches) as is weight (40 pounds) as is number of items (a la combined shipping).  Top Load Only and No Forks are two frequently used phrases as well. 

The UPS freight website would be an excellent example of how NOT to implement a shipping module.

My shipments often go to Canada from the US, which requires 1) Bill of Lading, 2) invoice, 3) 3 copies of the Customs form.

Magento Community
Magento Community

spencer321

Total Posts:  8
Chico, CA

Add my screams to this squeeky wheel.  Try integrating with an aggrigator like freightquote or echo.  For my large pallet items I just have to provide weight and class.

Magento Community
Magento Community

andwhite1

Total Posts:  6

Yes, you reminded me of info I forgot in my 1st post.  Even if you didn’t integrate freight shipping, if you could reserve some spots in the database on the product set up screen it would ease integration in the future.

As just pointed out the fields/tables needed that are most important right now are:

Vendor zip code (for drop shippers)
Ability to tell system that 1-3 products go UPS/FedEx/DHL (so do that calculation) and 4+ items go freight (so do that calculation).
weight
class
# of items per pallet (have a global pallet weight parameter but also be able to override that per product because some items use larger/smaller than standard pallets)

Some items we will need for the future (as the freight industry follows UPS lead of dimensional weight)
L, W, H of carton or product
NMFC #

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

cshontz

Total Posts:  91

I also need to specify more detailed shipping info aside than simply weight, for the reasons mentioned above. Is feature this forthcoming?

Magento Community
Magento Community

wily

Total Posts:  2

Also looking to use Magento with furniture: this is a big drawing card if even a framework can be integrated. Please advise.

Magento Community
Magento Community

scjunkies

Total Posts:  55
Houston, Texas, USA

I would settle for a method to calculate shipping costs even if they are an estimated cost based on weight.  Anything that helps me charge some type of shipping amount to the client.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GelbachDesigns

Total Posts:  8

Yet another developer in agreement. Common Carrier is a big deal to many companies.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eric1285

Total Posts:  19

I’m in the same boat - we’re a small furniture / wood crafts manufacturer and I’ve just created a website based on Magento that will allow us to sell to small retailers. We have a minimum order of $500 and for most of our items that would require delivery by freight. Right now the only solution I’ve found is to use Magento just to generate the PO, and then we call the customer back with a quote for freight charges. It’s really inelegant and seems to have turned away a bunch of potential customers.

The other solution I’m thinking of doing would involve using table rates. We already have each of our items’ pallet size, so I would just put that in the space for weight and then use that to calculate freight rates. This would require constant updating though as freight rates change frequently. Not a very elegant solution either, but it makes things easier for the customer (at the cost of more work for us).

Here’s hoping that someone is able to work up a solution for those of us who can’t ship items via UPS/FedEx. Until then, Magento is really nothing more than a way to organize and online catalog and generate the occaisional PO - not really the complete ecommerce solution many of us are looking for.

Magento Community
Magento Community

viniati

Total Posts:  97

I also agree, a freight option module integrated would be the solution I wish for also.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chanchel

Total Posts:  43

I could use this feature.  Has anyone had any luck?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baskettcase

Total Posts:  48

We would love to have something like this also.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZmoduleZ

Total Posts:  7

We have a shipping extension for FedEx Freight.

Please see thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/59754/

For more information:
http://zmodulez.wordpress.com/magento-fedex-freight-shipping-extension/

Louis

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZmoduleZ

Total Posts:  7

I just released a National LTL extension.  This extension provides shipping quotes for FedEx National LTL.  National LTL’s rates are typically cheaper than FedEx Freight.

See:
http://zmodulez.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/magento-freight-modules-version-1-2-0-is-released/
http://zmodulez.wordpress.com/magento-fedex-national-ltl-shipping-extension/

Louis

Magento Community
Magento Community

shipper2653

Total Posts:  2

if you want check out some better LTL rates:

Website - http://www.shipag.com
Username -
Password - demo55

Just hit on the shipment “shortform” - then put in the origin and destination zip code with weight and freight class (if you need any assistance please let me know , I would be glad to help !

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

We have a number of freight extensions and can build custom solutions to order.  These include:

Yellow/YRC
Conway
Estes
TBB
ABF Freight
Echo

We also have solutions around overriding rates for certain products under specific scenarios (e.g. no Hazardous via Air) and sending items via dimensional weight.

your requirements for an analysis and no obligation recommendation on the best solution for your needs.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2