Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Column Name has Duplicates Error When Uploading Products

azores

Total Posts:  12

I know this has been discussed many times between Users in different forums (I have not seen someone from Magento address the issue yet) but, unfortunately, none of the solutions have helped me upload my product .csv file. I’m hoping a Magento person can help me. I’ve also tried to “Submit a Ticket” but when I select that it only seems to bring me to “My Account” with no place to actually submit a ticket. I’m getting frustrated because I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time trying to upload 30 measly items!

It seems users who experienced this problem were using a mac. I’m using a PC with Excel 2010. I’ve also tried it with an older version of Excel.  Some users on the forum suggested openoffice.org but to no avail. I get 1 of 2 error messages:

column names has duplicates OR can not find required columns: sku

Please help. Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

danbernard01

Total Posts:  2

I have had the same problem inputting csvs generated using Excel.  As I understand it Magento requires the csv to be encoded in UTF-8: I haven’t figured out a way to get Excel to output in this encoding.  Download Open Office from www.openoffice.org, open the Excel-generated csv using Open Office, selecting the UTF-8 option when opening.  Then resave as a csv and input this into Magento.  I have found that eliminates the ‘columns have duplicates’ messages.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmjdepot

Total Posts:  4

That does not work for me either.....

i have had this same error for literally weeks now....we really need an answer to this.

Has anyone googled “Can not find required columns: sku” there are litereally hundreds of threads...with no resolution....someone throw us a bone here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnlewisdesign

Total Posts:  19

I was stuck on this too - but it seems if you choose ‘Delete Data’ it looks for a match to delete.

Instead, in System->Import choose ‘Append Complex Data’ and you will pass the SKU validation and go onto the next error...!

There really should be a better conflict handler built in - its the only area in which Magento Community sadly lacking. Get this right, and they will have many more migrators I’m sure - I was about to give up!

Incidentally, you get the duplicate data with no column headings - but if you use the export tool and use the CSV headings from that, its only a matter of time until you have cleared the errors in their entirety.

I’m almost through the woods now smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

davidlef

Total Posts:  8

I ran into the same issue but solved it by importing and then exporting the file through Google docs.
I followed these steps and it worked perfectly:
On the main Docs (or Drive) screen click the “Create” button and choose “Spreadsheet”
From the “File” menu choose “Import”
Click “Choose File”
Choose “Replace spreadsheet”
Choose whichever character you are using as a Separator
Click “Import”
From the “File” menu choose “Download as” -> CSV (current sheet)
The resulting file will be in UTF-8

Magento Community
Magento Community

mxrobuk

Total Posts:  2

I just had this same problem on a windows pc running excel 2000 (not that I think this matters, read on....)

Where I had been marking data in my file I had highlighted complete rows in excel, then when exporting the file to csv it was trying to do the complete sheet, with these extra highlighted cells, which meant more columns!

Seeing as they were all named nothing, and had no data other than being a colour, I cleared those fields in excel, re-exported and it all worked. Drama over.

In a nutshell, I just exported all that was necessary.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MattStephens

Total Posts:  152
United Kingdom

This is also a common problem when using Excel on a Mac. To solve the problem when saving in Excel select Windows CSV as the file type.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community