Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento needs documentation so bad it hurts! 

Benek

Total Posts:  11

Is it just me, or is the Magento documentation so lacking it makes customizing anything about it like pulling teeth?

The designers guide and wiki page scratch the surface of theme design and then from there we’re left with absolutely no direction, no answers, no support. I’ve spent hours searching through the forums for answers to simple questions or problems. Usually I find 5 or 10 other posts with people wanting the exact same help, but nobody ever gets answers.

Is Varien intentionally leaving us in the dark so that people have to pay them for customization? I don’t get the point of releasing something as open source if you don’t take the steps to make it easy for people to work with the software.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

marc_j

Total Posts:  37

Yes - they’ve also spent years writing the software and giving it to you for free so you can be even more confused.

Get a clue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

The project is young. Give it a year and it will improve greatly. I think Magento is going through some growing pains. And, I also think they want people to get professional support, which makes sense.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DGLScripts

Total Posts:  24
Australia

I agree ShopGuy. It is a young project still and may I say, looks bloody awesome.
Give it time folks. The developers are obviously trying to create a unique platform here so as to provide a fully functional and multi-use shopping script.
I am sure once they are happy with what they have accomplished, they will upgrade everything else, including documentation etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Magento is very young, but it has acheived many things that other “older” carts are not able to achieve. Don’t forget that this is an open source project but it functionality are on par with paid products.
Kudos to the Magento/Varien team for the great job that they have done. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Benek

Total Posts:  11

I’m not complaining about the product. I think it’s incredible. But regardless of how awesome it is, it’s very difficult to use without proper documentation.

Sure, it’s young. They’ve spent their time developing the software instead of writing documentation. That’s understandable. But then when you release the software to the public, documentation is expected. When it’s not there, it’s frustrating. Far too often documentation is an afterthought, when it should be side-by-side with development.

As far as I’m concerned, Magento may be 100 times better than I already think it is, if only there was some documentation to tell me about all of those features and customization options that I don’t know about.

They can refine the software and add new features for years, but until they make it easy for people to work with, it can never be a huge success. Imagine if something like WordPress were as difficult to use as Magento with no docs. Nobody would use it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DGLScripts

Total Posts:  24
Australia

Benek,

It is completely understandable what you are saying.
However, when I release a product that I build, I will not write the documentation until I test it first and break it, fix it and test it again. That way I can write the documentation in detail and notify the end user of possible flaws that can happen if a certain thing was done.

I am sure documentation will be along soon.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community