Magento Forum

Can Magento monitor competitors pricing? 

Fluvius

Total Posts:  22
Exeter, Devon, UK

Hi,

I’m very new to Magento, but already extremely impressed by it and its extensive capabilities.

I’m wondering if Magento can monitor competitors pricing, highlighting those products in the store(s) which are x% different from the average price on competitors websites.

Don’t ask me exactly how this price comparison is performed, but I know there are some e-commerce sites out there that can do this, helping the store owner to keep their pricing competitive.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tony.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cbsteven

Total Posts:  73

Not by default, although I suppose it could be done by an experienced programmer. It would not be a small project, though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

@Fluvius

1) Can you describe how that functionality has to work?

2) I supouse that you want to check any site (not onlye Magento platforms, don’t you?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fluvius

Total Posts:  22
Exeter, Devon, UK

Damián Culotta - 16 December 2008 04:28 AM

@Fluvius

1) Can you describe how that functionality has to work?

2) I supouse that you want to check any site (not onlye Magento platforms, don’t you?

Having not seen the actual way that similar e-commerce sites with this functionality perform (I only know of 3 or 4 but I’ve not looked at their underlying code), I guess that it would take either the description of the product or the manufacturer’s product code (or both) and do a simple Google-style search query to return as many product matches as possible. This price information would then be averaged and compared to the price used on the Magento site, perhaps highlighting those products that are x% more than that average.

Some sort of geographical limiter would probably be desirable to limit the scope of prices returned from a search, because averaging prices from Spain, USA, Japan and Australia for example would somewhat distort the results. If the store were in the UK for instance then perhaps you’d only want to check prices within the UK.

Anyway, that’s how I’d see it functioning (if that’s even feasible!)

Tony.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

It’s sounds interesting, but like cbsteven says, is more than a simple extension.
Also, I think that you need some kind of cron runing crawling sites and parsing data.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Incognito
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Michigan

It wouldn’t be that hard to make using amazon web services.

Magento Community
Magento Community

打狗队长

Total Posts:  47

This is a $6000-10000 cost extension.

It will include webspider, semantic analysis, intelligent matching and…

And, you can not run it on your own site, your competitor can block you easily when he know.

But if you want do something by hand, that will reduce the cost, your only need is a spider.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

I built exactly this in osCommerce and yes, it’s costly in terms of time involved. Not quite 5 figures I don’t think but complex nontheless.

Though it may be easier these days with RSS/feeds etc. which should be easy enough to parse. At the time I indeed had to crawl the pages and parse them, searching for the price.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mishakrunic

Total Posts:  1

Maybe try some external tools (not integrated with Magento).
As online retailers we’ve had the same problem ourselves, so we’ve built a tool which helps you monitor your competitor’s prices.
www.price2spy.com - hope you find it useful.

Misha

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

Total Posts:  146
United Kingdom

http://pricesquid.com/

Magento Community
Magento Community

BABOOKS

Try out http://www.pricegrid.com

We have been using it with great success.  They can do everything you are looking for and even have cart plugins, magento included.

Magento Community
Magento Community

walther2

We tested several products and finally decided for this software: www.karsa-monitor.com. It does the local downloading, which is for free so there is no problem in downloading 20K of products and matching them with each other. If you want to scrape more products, it is possible to download even 250k of products from cloud every day and upload it to SAP

Magento Community
Magento Community

kristianjeffrey

Total Posts:  16

This would be a brilliant extension if someone could develop it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tusharsb

Total Posts:  2

We have developed the very system (it supports Magento).

Its presently in Beta & you can use our service http://www.TagCompete.com for free.

In contrast to existing tools, It works by comparing your store with products listed on millions of other websites - without you having to supply a limited competitor list. As of now it crawls millions of stores over internet, & alerts you as soon as it finds your products more competitively priced somewhere on internet. By leveraging artificial intelligence, it matches your product with ones which match exactly with your product.

The first few beta users of TagCompete.com have reported improvement in their bottom line & comparison search engine rankings

While we are in Beta phase, please suggest any features you want to see in our software, and we will add them promptly :-)

Tushar Goswami
TagCompete.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

PriceSquid

London

There are many different web crawlers on the market today. It depends on what type of solution you want. There are both the external solutions where you just get the data in some sort of customer login or mail and there are types where you can upload your products to the data suppliers website and then compare your prices there.

We have developed a solution there goes a bit further. With PriceSquid you can get your competitors prices into a dashboard like the above solutions. But our solution allows you to integrate the Dashboard into your Magento administration. And you can setup automated price strategies and allow the Dashboard to automatically change your prices in real time directly in your store.

Example: Scan all your competitors before you have to send data feed to the Price comparison sites or setup the \\\\\\\"real time\\\\\\\” competitor monitor and offer your customers the real Price guarantee.

We have made a short video telling about the software you are welcome to take a look smile

/PriceSquid

www.pricesquid.com

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community