Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

GET THIS WORKING………. 

ioan1k

Total Posts:  27

I am trying to customize magento ( might i say i feel that process is just insane and brought into a extremely complex process ).

I’ve had quite a few problems...and to me this should be fairly simple

The products view page doesn’t want to update according to what I set it in the administration....it will not get rid of the sidebar.....and I cannot find the file that does this.

I CANNOT update a products quantity......no matter what I do I cannot change the quantity of a product......there is nowhere in the admin to do this unless it just disapeared.... check the products admin, category and config

ANY help on this????  question  question  question  question

This is a very well built ecommerce cms but it seems that it is nothing but a hassle to get working

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

xrussx

Total Posts:  54

Please post your sites url so we can help you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ioan1k

I’m running this on my localhost....

What im asking is how do i update my products quantity??

What file needs to be changed to remove the sidebar for products viewing page.

Thnx 4 ur help

Magento Community
Magento Community

xrussx

Total Posts:  54

What im asking is how do i update my products quantity?? ----

Product quantity is called inventory in magento. You update this by clicking on the product you want to edit and then click inventory. Make sure manage inventory is turned on in the configuration.

What file needs to be changed to remove the sidebar for products viewing page. -----

Well want block are you wanting to remove? Categories? Newsletter? Shopping cart? All of them?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ioan1k

it is turned on in the config and i still cannot update.......Im guessing that that turning off the inventory makes it so there is unlimited inventory for items? If so it still shows all products as “out of stock”

and side bar.....the side bar that says my cart compare products........the 2 column page I need it to be one

Magento Community
Magento Community

ioan1k

thx everyone for all the support on this..................

magento has turned into a piece of software that look to be outstanding from the outside but once I opened it, it turned out to be the most problematic, buggy software I have ever used.....

I will never recommend this to anyone

TY magento for the wasted time

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

While I can’t say that Magento isn’t bug free and doesn’t have a few problems, it’s hardly fair to say your lack of knowledge in the particular issue is a reason to not like Magento.

Magento is not well documented at all, which means there is a lot of leg work to be done in terms of research and experimentation in order to figure out whats going on.

Magento uses a lot of advanced coding techniques, which can make things much harder for someone who is not at an advanced level of coding. (And even so, as an “advanced” php coder myself, learning the Magneto system took a LOT of time and determination).

Basically, I agree that Magento has had a few problems, but once you get over (or nearly so) the learning curve, you can start to appreciate the great things about it. Especially compared to other OS e-commerce solutions.

Take a gander through my Blog, as I have a few posts you might find useful for learning to help with this particular customization.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ioan1k

I was not speaking of the customization ( this process has been simple ) minus the minor problem with the sidebar issue.

I was speaking of the matter that the amount of bugs that I have encountered is quite large, and that was just download -> installation no customization.

As soon as i installed I tried to setup a simple role system and all resources that were shown available on a install I did just days ago were gone, I could not register new administrators, update products, update the design or install anything through the downloader.

It is true magento uses advanced techniques ( which I am a very advanced developer ) I have written my own framework, CMS, extensions and use of Zend and others ( infact I just recently finished a project using Zend ).

It is not the learning curve that is the problem with this, it is the simple problem that a fresh install straight from magento does not function correctly and consisted of bugs that made it seam like a extremely unstable Beta version.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community