Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Enabling HTML in Product Descriptions

Wayno

Total Posts:  3

I have been unable to format my text using standard HTML in the product descriptions. Is this feature included? I assume it would be, to format text and bullets, etc.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Hi, HTML workd fine for me...eg <br>, <b>, creating tables etc.,… Look at demo store (Magento) and check in admin demo on Magento to check layout of tables in example products.. Try Very basic Tags and work your way up…

Hope this helps a little bit… If not you have a strange prob… I know WSIWYG editors are needed badly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wayno

Total Posts:  3

Heh. Thanks. After reading your post, I had a bit of a theory that I put to test. My error was I was using the same text, just formatted when I changed the description. I couldn’t tell that it wasn’t showing the changes. Found that out after I changed the text completely to see.

Looks like I am having a cacheing issue now. Tried refreshing everything, tried deleting the cache files from the server. Still showing the old description. Didn’t update untill I disabled the product from store, and then re-enable it. What a pain. Heh.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

Most of the standard HTML formatting is neutralized in “reset.css”.  To get your LI’s to look LI-ish you’ll need to reset the style in your CSS for those blocks.  Ditto for most of the other block tags.  The following will turn it back on:

.product-collateral ul { list-style-type:disc; margin:10px; }

Magento Community
Magento Community

snarkys

Total Posts:  124

does turning bullets back on have any negative side effects ? Guess im wondering why they would turn them off to begin with .

Magento Community
Magento Community

Periculi

Total Posts:  249

I had a problem with the demo store not rendering html in a few of the product description boxes, such as in the additional information box.  It was showing the html as text instead of formatting it into a list and whatnot.

I checked around and found that the html tags have a switch in the Catalog>>Attributes section of the admin.  After turning on the “Allow HTML tags on Frontend” value, the display was correctly rendered.  Each attribute of a product can have html activated or not, as desired, if it is a text area.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community