Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

mssql and other questions

jwb

Total Posts:  12

Hi there

Magento looks and feels really nice. I’m considering it for a client but they have very specific needs and I’d love some assistance before forging ahead if that’s possible please?

1. Does it/can it work with MSSQL instead of MySQL?
2. My client sells the same products in different countries, in the currency of those countries, and at different prices dependent on the country, so can the multiple storefronts facility handle each a separate currency and a separate price (and language) for that store?
3. Can a promo code be set up that can be used only the once and would populate their cart with a “starter kit” set of products? We’re looking for a special starter pack that a new client could order (and only the once)..
4. Would anyone be interested in doing any additional coding we may need to accommodate any company-specific changes we may require?

Thanks very much.
JWB

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jwb

I must be wearing the wrong aftershave or something.

Can anyone assist please?

Thanks
JWB

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwb

Hmmm. OK.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michae1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

jwb -

1. Does it/can it work with MSSQL instead of MySQL?

No. Are there any specific reasons to use MSSQL ?

jwb -

2. My client sells the same products in different countries, in the currency of those countries, and at different prices dependent on the country, so can the multiple storefronts facility handle each a separate currency and a separate price (and language) for that store?

Sure, prices can be configured per website (in Magento terms) in different currencies and have different values. You can even sell in different currencies from the same site if you specify currency rates. You can have multiple store views (in Magento terms) to support different languages (in your catalog data, and general localization of Magento interface).

jwb -

3. Can a promo code be set up that can be used only the once and would populate their cart with a “starter kit” set of products? We’re looking for a special starter pack that a new client could order (and only the once)..

There’s no native Magento feature for it yet, though it shouldn’t be a hard customization to add this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dan Frydman

Total Posts:  11

Hi Michael,

are you talking about running different stores within the same install or different installs.

We’d also like to run a store on one install with all the same products, but with US products carrying their own prices and UK products carrying their prices.  The reason for this is to keep one set of product details and keeping fulfilment and maintenance as straight forward as possible.

Thanks

Dan

Magento Community
Magento Community

egardensales

Total Posts:  5

Is it still true that Magento is not compatible with M$SQL?

I know that it is irritating to deal with but the people I am working for need there web store to work with it due to the fact that their whole POS system is run through it.

Thanks,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dan Frydman

Total Posts:  11

Microsoft SQL is just a database so there are ways to get Magento to talk to it - most likely through XML based import / export profiles.

After a lot of delays we’re only just starting to work with a Microsoft-based EPOS system, but through the filter of a system that takes info out from MS SQL and puts it into a format that Magento will read.

If your clients are set on Magento, there are ways of doing it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

egardensales

Total Posts:  5

It seemed that Magento is the or one of the best web solutions out there. Is there something equal or better when dealing with Microsoft? For smaller projects I have just used my own templates to create the site but for a project of their scale I do not have time while in college and produce something from scratch.

So using xml spreadsheets to have the two databases communicate with each other is the best way to do it? I heard something about a API that was supposed to accomplish something like this is that a viable option that should be pursued?

Thanks!

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community