Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Installed, categories and products added, but now what?! 

hotdiggity

Total Posts:  27

I know this question has been answered in a few other post but I still haven’t had any joy. I’ve added some test products to categories but I can’t see any navigation into the categories from the front page. Perhaps there needs to be some tutorials added to explain. I’m only using a single store and so far all the products have been created under the “Chosen store: Default value” dropdown. All products and categories are active too…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SeL_
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1140
Paris, France

As it has been said several times, are your products and categories active in your website too ?
Did you try to refresh the cache ? In back office, select ‘System > Cache Management’ and disable or refresh what’s needed.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vann

Total Posts:  16

I have the same problem.

The category and products are active/enabled, all the caches have been disabled and cleared, and yet no categories appear at the top of the page, nor on the home page.

If I go to site map on the front end (via the footer), I see “There is no category”,...From there, I click “Product Sitemap”, and it will show the one product I’ve created.

What’s going on? All the categories I’ve created are for “All Websites” under the Root category. I can’t imagine what I’m doing wrong.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vann

I just wiped the database and reaccessed the front end and admin side. No reconfiguration was required (to access the database, et al), and there were no categories. I created a category “test” and assigned the sample “Simple Product” to that category. Elsewhere in this forum I saw instructions to set a “Root Category” for the default store, which was already set. After resaving the configuration, the “Test” category appeared on the front end’s topbar.

There appears to be an improperly set default value for the Root Category, is my best guess.

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

HI, Make sure your category setup is from the root category (top), this allows horizontal nav. Also make sure you’ve assigned products/categories to a store your viewing.
Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vann

I don’t know about the original poster, but I followed those steps harry12bar. The problem wasn’t resolved until I manually set the “root category” under system preferences.

-Vann

Magento Community
Magento Community

handcoded

Total Posts:  110

It works in a bit of an odd way but when adding the category you have a category tree on the left of the screen and if you highlight the category you created and move it under root on the category tree it should appear at the top of your page on the front end view.

It will take a while to get to grips with. I myself had a few head scratching moments.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hotdiggity

Total Posts:  27

Head scratching or head beating?! wink

Thanks vannmi for the clue - it worked for me. Anyone who wants to know exactly where to find it try:

System > Catalogue > “Root Category” dropdown and set the root there (after having added some categories).

Still don’t understand why it’s done that way, but hey, if it works, who’s complaining?!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mk30

Total Posts:  73
Lithuania/Vilnius

the same problem with new prewiev version… but there is no such thing as System>catalogue>root category… it seems that smthing changed now. how to do it in current preview version :/ there is a big lack of documentation at the moment (and no more hair on my head :D). made categories and they arent showing checked and rechecked everything in backend and cache cleared.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

i’m confused by what you guys are doing. i can add categories and products and have them show up on the front page no problem (ver 0.8.16100). please remember to actually select a store view when adding a category. also make sure they’re enabled. and voila.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mk30

Total Posts:  73
Lithuania/Vilnius

Now i’m the person which is confused what I was doing for 2 days smile but somehow I managed to do it.
So here it is: step one make sure you add more categories under your root category, which can be selected under System>Manage stores>Store name>default category.

P.S. make sure you have subcats under that category. it took me 2 days hair tearing and only after 2 moscow mules i did it.

P.s.s guys you should have topic post drunk here pinned smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community