Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do you use SVN? 

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

I am looking into using SVN for the first time. I would really like to ditch FTP. I am wondering what the best way to use SVN and magento is? How do you set up your directory structure? Is your live web site a working copy or do you export and rsync or create symlinks?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

Maybe you need to read about best practices on SVN. Magento is like any other project.
I’m using Suvbersion with Magento.

We use several development enviroments, with one stage server.
Every developer commits his tasks.
Then, We got deploys on the staging server.
Once the staging server was approved, I made the checkout or updates on production server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

How do you have your branches setup? How do you handle updating magento code? Do you checkout to the live server or use rsync?

I am asking because I have read a lot of different ways to use subversion and want to set it up in the best way for this application.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

We got some order, and the same magento instance, works for all the clients.
When we deploy some new general module, that module is available for all the sites.
We also have some special configurations, in that case, there are sepcials scripts for every implementations.
It’s not perfect, but it works!.

I made always svn updates. the folders media and var are excluded.
Of course, every staging and production site has an individual backup.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community