Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

… add additional ‘simple products’ to a configurable product AFTER I have created it? 

Chelramsey

Total Posts:  33

Hello Everyone.

I am new to Magento and have spent the last 17 hours trying to figure out configurable products. It seems REALLY really really really tediously designed for shops that have a lot of customization items. I am surprised at this considering how far ahead Magento is from the other ecommerce stuff out there.

My problem is of course, the same as everyone else in the sense that I have about 50 products to enter but when you get done with all the configurable choices, its going to be like 3400. Its really really really really disheartening =(

I have figured how to make the simple products then add them to your configurable product. My question is, is it possible to add additional simple products AFTER you make the configurable product the first go around. Like if you for got a combination or something?

And also, is there ANY hope AT ALL of some easier way to handle this type of thing? Because this is just going to make Magento unusable for some.

Thanks so much in advance.. and I still think Magento is awesome wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Chelramsey

Ok. I think I answered this myself finally.

After creating new simple product options, you have go into the configurable product and click on Associated Products then click the ‘reset filter’ button to get the new items to show up.

They still need to make it easier =P

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisrboggs

Total Posts:  9

I feel your pain, but hopefully I can help a little.  Are you aware that if you create the configurable product first, with all the required information- save- and then go to associated products tab to create all of your simple products using “quick create”?  That is a huge time saver because you can create all of the simple products from one page without reloading and saving each time. 

And yes you can add more simple products to a configurable product any time.  One exception is that you can’t add a simple product that has different attribute selections.  Like if you choose size and color originally for your configurable product, you can’t change that later.  Meaning you also can’t add a simple product with the attribute variable such as manufacturer. 

I also do not like how they have set this up because even with quick create it is very very tedious to enter a product that has 500 or more associated simple products.  I have done this often and it sucks!  Another problem I’ve ran into as of late is that randomly I can’t add all of the associated simple products necessary.  I have a product that has over 500 associated simples, but it won’t save anymore than 470ish.  No idea why and I don’t want to start over because I was about to go brain dead from all of the clicking!

Hope I’ve helped some.  Good luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chelramsey

But another question presents itself wink

I have had to rename some attributes and what not. I see the changes in the forms when I am editing the products or creating new simple products and even in the configurable product, but on the frontned the attribute field’s label is not changing.

For example:

I changed ‘Chap Color’ to ‘Tube Color’

It appears as Tube Color EVERYWHERE but in the Catalog.

Is this another button I am overlooking?  Thanks!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chelramsey

Hey Chris!

Thanks for the response. For sure the clicking is going to drive me nuts. Mainly, I am creating this one configurable item just to test everything out to see how its going to look. I like Magento, but this is going to be a looooooooooooooooooong project with the way this is set up. I have faith that they are listening and that they want their product to be the best and I see TONS of questions/bugs/crying about this so maybe there is hope wink

Carpal tunnel syndrome for us !!!

chrisrboggs - 11 December 2008 07:09 PM

I feel your pain, but hopefully I can help a little.  Are you aware that if you create the configurable product first, with all the required information- save- and then go to associated products tab to create all of your simple products using “quick create”?  That is a huge time saver because you can create all of the simple products from one page without reloading and saving each time. 

And yes you can add more simple products to a configurable product any time.  One exception is that you can’t add a simple product that has different attribute selections.  Like if you choose size and color originally for your configurable product, you can’t change that later.  Meaning you also can’t add a simple product with the attribute variable such as manufacturer. 

I also do not like how they have set this up because even with quick create it is very very tedious to enter a product that has 500 or more associated simple products.  I have done this often and it sucks!  Another problem I’ve ran into as of late is that randomly I can’t add all of the associated simple products necessary.  I have a product that has over 500 associated simples, but it won’t save anymore than 470ish.  No idea why and I don’t want to start over because I was about to go brain dead from all of the clicking!

Hope I’ve helped some.  Good luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Impulso

Total Posts:  6

I’m also looking for an easy way to do this. It seems like two years after the first post, nothing has changed.  downer

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community