Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Ride-This.com Specialty Bikes for All Lifestyles

timmymcnutt

Total Posts:  7

I’ve managed the ride-this stores for a few years now and have dreamed of making an entirely new site for a long time now. Once I found magento, I knew I could finally make it happen. We have four storeviews in one website set up in the mall setting.  Ten years in the making and still being fleshed out, here it is. I’d be very happy to hear any thoughts or criticisms.

Ride-This.com

Thanks,

Tim McNutt

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

My first impression was “busy”, but as I looked around the front page I thought it looked more like pockets of busy-ness spread out to cover a lot of space.
I’m not in your target market, but I couldn’t really tell what your site was about from looking at the front page. The word “bike” is used a couple of times (but not prominently) and “bicycle” is not used at all.  There’s nothing recognizable as a bike to give a context for the rest of it.  I would suggest putting a bike or two in the header or in the page background (instead of that pattern that looks out of place).

I tried a search after attempting to add a tag (it wanted me to login first) and it gave me a security warning about the information being sent over an unencrypted page. That’s annoying, but I think it would have done the same thing for anyone’s setup using SSL for the account login.

So, I searched for “blue” and got 41 matching products, but most of them didn’t look blue.

I clicked on the callout for the shopping cart, which was empty, and the four links in the footer all have the shopping cart URL (they don’t go anywhere). I tried going to other pages and they change to whatever page you are on. Pretty useless links.

The product “More Views” image window opens pretty small. I have to make the window bigger to see the image.
I didn’t look at a lot of the products, but I get the impression that you have to know what you are looking at because the product description doesn’t really tell you.  One example is “Knog Frog Twinpack”. I have to just guess that it has something to do with mounting a light on your bike. You could probably clarify it easily for those shoppers that are just learning or are buying gifts. Don’t assume your customer knows what the product is.

I was looking for the Advanced Search, but didn’t find it anywhere.

I’m not sure I understand why there are four views. I see the background changes and the logo change, but are the products changing? Looks like the same menus, which are so long that I can’t tell if they are different. As a shopper, it’s a bit overwhelming and I would wonder if I have to check each of the four to see if the product I’m looking for is there.  As a marketer, I see this as a bad thing because a confused customer doesn’t buy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

Yes, use different labels for the tabs! Say what they really are for. I couldn’t tell.

I don’t understand about the Advanced Search. It comes in the core install. You just have to mark your attributes to use it or not. It really is helpful for a shopper because they can choose multiple values of the same attribute to search for, or multiple attributes. For instance, on my shoe store you can search for black and brown shoes in one search instead of clicking only black or only brown in the layered navigation.  I can see that with a large range of products like yours, though, all those attributes would get confusing being listed in one place. Maybe you could customize the search form to use attribute sets and only list the attributes in the set.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community