Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Layered Navigation

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

Hi there,
I posted a similar question yesterday - however I have done more testing and I simply can’t get layered navigation to show certain attributes. Can someone shed light how I can get sizing available in the layered navigation - I have tried with both shoes and shirts with no luck.

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Adam, the only filterable attributes are those that are of the dropdown type. Are you trying to filter by attributes that are not of the dropdown type? If so, that would probably be why. Otherwise, I’m not sure what the deal is.

cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

London, UK

Hi Scott. I checked that - and sizes are of “dropdown” type… so not sure what is happening here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Try this:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Layered-navigation/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

London, UK

Thanks Moshe - I have read that as well - and followed to a T - I have managed to get it working - but it only works with simple products! So those products that have multiple options relating to color and size etc don’t work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Yes, and this is a known issue, that most probably will be resolved together with filtering attributes of multiselect options

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

London, UK

Cheers - it would be great if we could have access to the bugs that are posted - we spent a lot of time with this particular issue - nowhere has it been stated (until now) that this only worked with “simple” products - It also means that we all end up reporting the same bug a number of times.

Thanks for the great work so far - as a fulltime PHP developer I appreciate all the work that has gone into the product so far.

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spek

Total Posts:  77

Moshe - 04 September 2007 03:16 PM

Yes, and this is a known issue, that most probably will be resolved together with filtering attributes of multiselect options

Since you mention this I was wondering if it would be possible to add an option ("layered navigation display type") in the backend under “manage attributes” > “frontend properties”
It would allow us to choose between dropdown/checkboxes (or the default list) for displaying layered navigation options in the frontend. This counters clutter when using lots of filterable attributes and would allow us to make an attribute ‘multiselectable’ for layered navigation even though the backend thinks differently.

I’ve added a mockup to show you what I mean.

Image Attachments
layered_options.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Ben Joostens - Nice idea - maybe we will add this in the near future.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

substrakt_jim

Total Posts:  10
Birmingham, UK

Try this instead of the ordered list in app\design\frontend\default\artmarkt\template\catalog\layer\filter.phtml template

<select id="layered-select" class="select" name="layered-select" onchange="if (this.selectedIndex > 0) location.href=this[this.selectedIndex].value;">
  <
option selected="selected">Filter</option>

<?foreach ($this->getItems() as $_item):?>

<li>
            <
option value="<?=$_item->getUrl()?>"><?=$_item->getLabel()?></option>
        <!-- <
a href="<?=$_item->getUrl()?>"><?=$_item->getLabel()?></a>
        (
<?=$_item->getCount()?>) -->
    </
li>

<?endforeach?>

</select>

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

substrakt_jim - 22 March 2008 07:15 AM

Try this instead of the ordered list in app\design\frontend\default\artmarkt\template\catalog\layer\filter.phtml template

Hi substrakt_jim,

This works well. Thank you!  Now all I need is to modify the CSS so that it looks nicer.

A question though, is it possible to have
<option selected="selected">please select</option>

shows up the first attribute option? for example, color:

red
silver
pink

and it shows ‘red’ instead of ‘please select’ ?

you use ‘filter’ in your example, it probably is more accurate than ‘please select’ but looks funny and I afraid it maybe confusing for visitors.

Image Attachments
1.jpg2.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community