Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Aweber Newsletter Sign-Up

daddyg

Total Posts:  77

Hi all,

I have a few questions about setting up my first ecommerce site with magento…

1) How does email integration work with magento?  Does it work with 3rd party autoresponders or email broadcasters such as aweber or constant contact?  Can I have both my newsletter subscribers and customer registration email addresses mergeded to use a single email service?

2) Should I use a UK based webhost for a UK store?  I’ve found a US based webhost simplehelix.com for magento - would there be a noticeable speed difference for UK visitors to a UK store whose pages are hosted in the U.S? 

3) Are there any SEO benefits of hosting a UK store on a UK webhost rather than a US one?  I.e am I more likely to get ranked higher on UK Search engine results because I have a UK webhost/ip address?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Graham

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sonician

Total Posts:  49

why go with a US if you can have a UK? Google certainly gives it some difference, just add a &hl;=us or &hl;=uk to the search-URL in Google to see the difference. Speedwise I don’t think it matters a lot, but again, why choose?

About e-mail: aweber would require you to use their form first, BUT can post cgi-variables, which you likely can pick up by the Magento-newsletter system (though it may require programming).

Magento Community
Magento Community

daddyg

Thanks for that.

We were considering US hosting because SimpleHelix appeared to be highly recommended and possibly cheaper than using a UK host.  Though given the £/$ exchange rate that’s doubtful now anyway.  I’ve since found NuBlue hosting who are UK and look pretty good.

What we’d like to do is incentivize customers (via a 10% discount off their first order) to register with us rather than use the guest checkout.  We’d then like to automatically move registered customers onto our (either aweber or mailchimp) mailing list.  But like you say, aweber require their form to be filled out first, rather than take the details entered into a magento customer registration form.  Any ideas how we could do that?

Thanks again,

Graham

Magento Community
Magento Community

sonician

Good idea about the incentivizing.

To use aweber.com, I think you can only do it by:
1) getting the users from the “Newsletter” signup-form or
2) from a sign-up in your copy.

If you already have people register in Magento, you would likely need to pop the info into Aweber manually (whereby a “confirm?"-mail will be sent from Aweber at a time whenever you catch up with entering the names, which likely will be confusing for the users).

Then I think you’re better off by getting your visitors to really opt-in in order to get a coupon code or similar via the very first Aweber autoresponder message.

It’s simple enough to have the Aweber forms shown up in any copy on your page just by adding the piece of code you get from Aweber. It’s also not toooo difficult to make the aweber code show instead of the default Magento one. This is how I did it:

Locate the /app/design/frontend/default/default/template/newsletter/subscribe.phtml (or whatever your /default/default/ is) and change:

<form action="<?php echo $this->getUrl('newsletter/subscriber/new') ?>" method="post" id="newsletter-validate-detail">
        <
fieldset class="block-content">
            <
legend><?php echo $this->__('Newsletter'?></legend>

<?php /*
            <?php if( $message = $this->getErrorMessage() ): ?>
                <p class="error"><?php echo $message ?></p>
            <?php endif; ?>
            <?php if( $message = $this->getSuccessMessage() ): ?>
                <p class="success"><?php echo $message ?></p>
            <?php endif; ?>
            */ 
?>

<label for="newsletter"><?php echo $this->__('Sign up for our newsletter:'?></label>
            <
input name="email" type="text" id="newsletter" class="input-text required-entry validate-email" />
            <
button type="submit" class="button"><span><?php echo $this->__('Subscribe'?></span></button>
        </
fieldset>
    </
form>

into the code that you will get from Aweber (in what they call “in raw html format"), then you can actually preserve the Magento design by keeping the fieldset, legend, label categories like the ones above intact. You can even design the button design in the same way as above but by removing all “Magento PHP” and only stick the “Aweber HTML” into all those places.

A suggestion btw: Edit the subject of your thread into something like: “Aweber newsletter signup” instead of “Beginner Questions” since perhaps more may be needing something like the above.

Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sonician

Good idea about the incentivizing.

To use aweber.com, I think you can only do it by:
1) getting the users from the “Newsletter” signup-form or
2) from a sign-up in your copy.

If you already have people register in Magento, you would likely need to pop the info into Aweber manually (whereby a “confirm?"-mail will be sent from Aweber at a time whenever you catch up with entering the names, which likely will be confusing for the users).

Then I think you’re better off by getting your visitors to really opt-in in order to get a coupon code or similar via the very first Aweber autoresponder message.

It’s simple enough to have the Aweber forms shown up in any copy on your page just by adding the piece of code you get from Aweber. It’s also not toooo difficult to make the aweber code show instead of the default Magento one. This is how I did it:

Locate the /app/design/frontend/default/default/template/newsletter/subscribe.phtml (or whatever your /default/default/ is) and change:

<form action="<?php echo $this->getUrl('newsletter/subscriber/new') ?>" method="post" id="newsletter-validate-detail">
        <
fieldset class="block-content">
            <
legend><?php echo $this->__('Newsletter'?></legend>

<?php /*
            <?php if( $message = $this->getErrorMessage() ): ?>
                <p class="error"><?php echo $message ?></p>
            <?php endif; ?>
            <?php if( $message = $this->getSuccessMessage() ): ?>
                <p class="success"><?php echo $message ?></p>
            <?php endif; ?>
            */ 
?>

<label for="newsletter"><?php echo $this->__('Sign up for our newsletter:'?></label>
            <
input name="email" type="text" id="newsletter" class="input-text required-entry validate-email" />
            <
button type="submit" class="button"><span><?php echo $this->__('Subscribe'?></span></button>
        </
fieldset>
    </
form>

into the code that you will get from Aweber (in what they call “in raw html format"), then you can actually preserve the Magento design by keeping the fieldset, legend, label categories like the ones above intact. You can even design the button design in the same way as above but by removing all “Magento PHP” and only stick the “Aweber HTML” into all those places.

A suggestion btw: Edit the subject of your thread into something like: “Aweber newsletter signup” instead of “Beginner Questions” since perhaps more may be needing something like the above.

Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

daddyg

I think you are right that offering a coupon code via an aweber or mailchimp sign up might be the better way to go.  Thanks for the code change stuff...that’s going to save me a lot of time!

Some follow up questions:-
1) Is it possible to set up a coupon code in magento that is only valid once per customer (ie for their first purchase only, or if they’ve purchased a product previously, their next purchase only).

2) If a customer creates an account (ie doesn’t guest checkout), does that enable me to email the customer using magento’s email system?

Thanks again

Graham

Magento Community
Magento Community

sonician

Nr 2 should work, but haven’t looked into how coupon codes work but understood there is some extra addon package for such things.

Magento Community
Magento Community

satish
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  812
34,mantri Sadan,Shivaji Nagar,Nagpur,MS,India 4400

daddyg - 10 December 2008 10:22 AM

Hi all,

I have a few questions about setting up my first ecommerce site with magento…

1) How does email integration work with magento?  Does it work with 3rd party autoresponders or email broadcasters such as aweber or constant contact?  Can I have both my newsletter subscribers and customer registration email addresses mergeded to use a single email service?

2) Should I use a UK based webhost for a UK store?  I’ve found a US based webhost simplehelix.com for magento - would there be a noticeable speed difference for UK visitors to a UK store whose pages are hosted in the U.S? 

3) Are there any SEO benefits of hosting a UK store on a UK webhost rather than a US one?  I.e am I more likely to get ranked higher on UK Search engine results because I have a UK webhost/ip address?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Graham

If You host in US where as most of your visitors are in UK will result in a time delay of .2 to .3 seconds.
Also if network congestion is there in between your site will go slow.
To add to this google gives criteria depending on where your site is hosted.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joshgoldstein

Total Posts:  2

You might not want Aweber for your business. I found that when I was creating my slim fit shirts website, I found that getting people to subscribe was actually very easy - it’s just a case of being able to provide them with the best content that will help them out.

I really do NOT recommend Aweber, especially for an online store. Why? It’s easy - Aweber is a newsletter system which has been created to deliver emails and newsletters. You really need to attach it to some sort of an online community to make it work correctly. Most people just send out some random emails about products and don’t get any responses.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community