Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

One Site, Many Stores

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

As part of a brief, a client has requested that a new wholesaler website have separate sub domains for each of their customers. Each customer (i.e. store / sub domain) would have a unique logo and banner advert on the product pages and the catalogue and prices would be different.

My questions are as follows:

1. My understanding is that the only way of doing this would be to create a separate store (or is it store view) for each customer and a slightly custom theme for each. Is this correct?

2. Can they be placed in separate sub domains?

3. Is this the best way of doing this. My initial thoughts are that for each customer there would be a lot of work involved setting everything up, e.g sub domains, products, prices etc. Could it be set up on a single main domain with different logins displaying a different logo and banner in the same way that the welcome message changes when logged in?

Thanks very much for your time.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

What you are looking to do is what Magento is designed for…

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes

I take it that the wholesaler wishes to offer an online retail presence for their customers (that would otherwise not have apublic facing store front)?

There are a few other implementation issues to consider. The contact details - are they different for each store/view? The sales reports, are they different for each store/view?

The way you are thinking of setting things up might sound daunting if you have not done it before, but after you have done one or two it could be quite easy to add a new shop.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

Thanks very much Discovery.

Following on directly from your answers....

1. Is it a separate ‘store’ or ‘store view’ that I would need to create for each of the clients customers on the subdomains?
2. Great.
3. Is it possible for it be set up using one domain and the logo and banner ad would depend on who logged in?

The wholesaler does not wish for there to be a public retail presence. Its only to the trade. I will force users to login before they can view products and prices.

Thanks for the other suggestions to consider.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

I was guessing that your wholesaler wanted to run affiliate shops for other retailers that don’t have the time to do it properly.

Seems that is not the case. So:

1) Check out the module/extension for providing a login box to the site.
2) Consider using customer groups to effect different pricing.
3) Consider writing your own header code. This can pull through images based on the customer name or group.

Having the different URL’s is superfluous. They can be redirects, i.e. point to the same place if your client demands it. http://anything.store.com coiuld always open www.store.com if you setup your virtual host to do that in apache.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

Thanks, it gives me a lot to go on.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community