Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Trouble with installation - mcrypt and mhash

clicktheo

Total Posts:  4

Well, I’ve been having trouble installing Magento on my shared hosting account with Fasthosts. A quick call and lengthly 30 minute hold to speak to an agent resulted in some annoying news - Fasthosts currently disables mcrypt and mhash on their servers so that they have more resources so that they can (most probably) cram even more people on their servers. I’ve put forward a suggestion for them to offer a repository of software like Magento for their customers, but as I want this setup ASAP I was wondering if there is any workaround so that I can use Magento without mcrypt and mhash.

Fasthosts have told me to get back to them after I receive an answer, and if it isn’t possible for a workaround they will consider enabling mcrypt and mhash on the server that my package is hosted on.

Can anyone help?!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

if there were simple workarounds then mcrypt and mhash wouldn’t be system requirements.

pretty sure your only other option is to try and install php (with those extensions) on your own as a cgi binary. or...get a better host.

Magento Community
Magento Community

clicktheo

Total Posts:  4

Well, i’m with Fasthosts for a reason - my company will be UK based, and customers will be from inside the UK. Therefore, it is logical to choose a host which is reliable and has fast connection speeds. The smaller hosts don’t give me the deal that I get, so it’s not really an option. I suppose that I will have to call Fasthosts to discuss my options.

If anyone has any other advice, please share it. If Fasthosts does start a repository with Magento in it, i’ll post the details in this topic....

Magento Community
Magento Community

philley

Total Posts:  1

Clicktheo, did you get any further with fasthosts?
I’m in the same boat as you at the moment trying to run Magento with fasthosts hosting.

The only response I’ve got so far is:
“Unfortunatly these [mcrypt & mhash] are not able to be enabled as this changes the configuration for the whole server and not just your domain name.”

Magento Community
Magento Community

cpfusion

Galashiels, Scottish Borders

clicktheo,

Did you get any further with Fasthosts regarding this issue, as I too am in a similar situation as yourself, or did you find another host to serve you better.

Craig

Magento Community
Magento Community

Online Selling Ltd

Total Posts:  14

I hate to be an echo, but I too am having the same problem.

I ran the magento-check.php on my new Reseller hosting account and got this message (below).

You can see, it failed on MySQL (I haven’t installed a database yet, I only set up the hosting earlier today) and mcrypt. I have emailed Fasthosts support who claim mcrypt is disabled for security and performance reasons. Still playing email tennis with them, trying to find out my options. I’m not sure if I should be concerned that mhash isn’t on here - I’ve read about Fasthosts not allowing mhash and mcrypt, so why am I not getting mhash in this error message? Do they allow it now perhaps?

If anyone has an answer for this problem (that isn’t move from Fasthosts), I’d be very eager to hear about it.

Many thanks!

Warning: shell_exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/fhlinux193/o/~removed~/user/htdocs/magento-check.php on line 28

Your server does not meet the following requirements in order to install Magento.
The following requirements failed, please contact your hosting provider in order to receive assistance with meeting the system requirements for Magento:

* You need MySQL 4.1.20 (or greater)
* You are missing the mcrypt extension

The following requirements were successfully met:

* You have PHP 5.2.0 (or greater)
* Safe Mode is off
* You have the curl extension
* You have the dom extension
* You have the gd extension
* You have the hash extension
* You have the iconv extension
* You have the pcre extension
* You have the pdo extension
* You have the pdo_mysql extension
* You have the simplexml extension

Magento Community
Magento Community

kazza

I have the same problem so I’ll try uploading the full product via ftp

Magento Community
Magento Community

Online Selling Ltd

Total Posts:  14

kazza - 06 May 2009 03:00 AM

I have the same problem so I’ll try uploading the full product via ftp

Kazza, after some lengthy research and talking to Fasthosts, unless you’re willing to buy a Dedicated server from them, then forget hosting Magento on Fasthosts. Believe me, I’ve spent days looking for a workaround, and one doesn’t exist. It’s a Dedicated Server, or another host.

If you chose another host, at the moment I recommend Heart Internet. Their Reseller account (very similar in spec to Fasthosts but without the 6 months free trial) works with Magento fine, and I’ve already set up my store. That’s just my advice anyway, you may have different requirements, etc.

Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community