Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Product Alert Issues

Weezers Gifts

Total Posts:  71
PA

I have a customer who signed up for a Product Alert to be notified when a product comes back in stock.  Well the product has come back in stock and they are getting the emails sent that the item is back in stock.  Well when they click the link to unsubscribe from that product alert it is giving them a 404 error.

They notified me asking me if I could remove the alert as they went into their login area to see if they could disable it and found nothing there.  So I looked in the admin section for that item and Found the Alert Tab and there is no way to cancel that alert for some reason.  I see the customer has been setup to receive the alerts and how many times they were notified, but no way of cancelling the alert.

Is there a work around for this or am I just missing something.  I hate to have them receive this email every single day until they mark my emails as spam and then not receive any other emails from us due to this issue.  Thank goodness I only have one customer that has this alert.

Thanks much in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Pixxa

Total Posts:  275

Old topic I know, but im hitting the same question. Signed myself up for product alert but just cant find the option to unsubscribe myself..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pixxa

Anyone has an idea? please reply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pixxa

Anyone knows if this has been fixed with the latest 1.3.2.1?

Magento Community
Magento Community

itchytrig

Total Posts:  162
UK

Hi,

So you have it sending email alerts? Wowwow we wow!

So Magento either doesn’t send them at all (crons on - database entry says sent - email templates in place?)…

But when it does work, it doesn’t stop sending them???

Should we even bother with this feature?

Varien, Hi, not seen many replies from you guys recently, plenty of early 2008 posts… Be good to hear some replies from the horses mouth, so to speak! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pixxa

Anyone has some new light on this issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

landshark

Total Posts:  21

I would like to get this working as well. It simply doesn’t work for me at all. This is a HUGE need for us as sales went through the roof when we sent out restock notices with our previous ecommerce platform.

Varien’s responses in the forum seem to be few and far between.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ladle

Total Posts:  173

landshark - 01 July 2009 03:36 PM

I would like to get this working as well. It simply doesn’t work for me at all. This is a HUGE need for us as sales went through the roof when we sent out restock notices with our previous ecommerce platform.

I’ve got this to work after much messing with.  Please let me know if you’d like to know how I did it.  I have subscribed to the thread.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul Morris

Total Posts:  37

ladle - 06 July 2009 06:01 AM

I’ve got this to work after much messing with.  Please let me know if you’d like to know how I did it.  I have subscribed to the thread.

Yes, YES!!! Dear landshark!

My Magento version is 1.3.2.2, but the price and stock alerts still can not work at all! It’s supposed to be working after i configing the function in Backup > System > Configuration > Catalog > products alert.

It’s not supposed to add any cron stuff more!

Thx in advanced!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul Morris

ladle - 06 July 2009 06:01 AM

Yes, YES!!! Dear landshark!

My Magento version is 1.3.2.2, but the price and stock alerts still can not work at all! It’s supposed to be working after i configing the function in Backup > System > Configuration > Catalog > products alert.

It’s not supposed to add any cron stuff more!

Thx in advanced!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ladle

Actually I was the one offering the help, but it still involves cron.

You have to set your cron to run within the timeout period you set in admin. 

1. Set your cron job to run cron.php at designated time (either a specific time or every 15 minutes or so, I set mine to 15 minutes for the time being), make sure you have correct file path and no errors are returned. (let me know if you need more help with this step)

2. Then go to admin >system>config>catalog>product alerts and make sure it is turned on

Then go to product alert settings right below and set the time for it to run approx 10 minutes before cron.php is set to run, have it run daily.

3. VERY IMPORTANT (for me it was anyway) go to admin >system>config>advanced>system>cron

Here set the “missed if not run” to about 30 (minutes) to play it safe.

At this point you should be good to go.  To test, set an item to out of stock, set the above settings to about ten minutes in the future from when you are testing.  Sign up for the items product alerts.  Go to admin set the item back in stock and save.

Check your email in about 30 minutes giving the cron enough time to generate.

Let me know if this helps…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul Morris

ladle - 15 July 2009 12:27 PM

Actually I was the one offering the help, but it still involves cron.

You have to set your cron to run within the timeout period you set in admin. 

1. Set your cron job to run cron.php at designated time (either a specific time or every 15 minutes or so, I set mine to 15 minutes for the time being), make sure you have correct file path and no errors are returned. (let me know if you need more help with this step)

2. Then go to admin >system>config>catalog>product alerts and make sure it is turned on

Then go to product alert settings right below and set the time for it to run approx 10 minutes before cron.php is set to run, have it run daily.

3. VERY IMPORTANT (for me it was anyway) go to admin >system>config>advanced>system>cron

Here set the “missed if not run” to about 30 (minutes) to play it safe.

At this point you should be good to go.  To test, set an item to out of stock, set the above settings to about ten minutes in the future from when you are testing.  Sign up for the items product alerts.  Go to admin set the item back in stock and save.

Check your email in about 30 minutes giving the cron enough time to generate.

Let me know if this helps…

Hey ladle

It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx you! You just gave me huge hands!

Besides, the CRON stuff, the CMD line I wrote like this—

wget ---spider http://mydomain.com/cron.php

I hope this will help someone too!

Thx again!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ladle

Paul Morris:

No Problem, glad I could help - and hope it brings you lots of sales!

Anyone else:

In response to the original problem with the 404 error I just discovered I had this problem after moving the store to my main directory from a subfolder.  I clicked on the link in an email I received prior to the move and got the error.

If this is the case for customers getting 404, they just need to be advised to click on the link and then modify the url in the address bar by correcting the first part to the current url.  This WILL take them to the unsubscribe page. 

Hope that makes sense, and that the problem was only that deep for you guys as well. 

BTW, after moving directories - it does send the correct url in future emails.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukgoods

Total Posts:  44

My Magento is trying to send out the Product Alerts but I keep getting a cron error.  I get two emails.  This one:

Product alerts cron warnings: Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Empty delimiter in /home/gordond/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Controller/Request/Http.php on line 487

I know it has something to do the the “ a href” statements because when I take the href statement out I get in the second email message::

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.5
Content-type: text/html

<p>You are receiving this notification because you subscribed to receive alerts when the following products are back in stock:</p>
<
table>
    <
tr>
        <
td>

<
p><small>Crisp and flaky crackers perfect with cheese.</small></p>
                        <
p>                <b>Price:</b>

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?  I am going live on Saturday and would love to have this feature working.

Cheers,

Donna

Magento Community
Magento Community

lanternwd

Total Posts:  33

Hi Ladle,
I am still struggling with this and I wonder if my cron jobs are running at all. You offered help with the first step, \"1. Set your cron job to run cron.php at designated time (either a specific time or every 15 minutes or so, I set mine to 15 minutes for the time being), make sure you have correct file path and no errors are returned. (let me know if you need more help with this step)\”

How do I set the job to run? In the System Config it is set to \"Generate schedules every 15 minutes\” but I don\’t know if that is enough or if I have missed a vital step. Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Leah

Magento Community
Magento Community

allan2fluid

Total Posts:  17

ukgoods - This issue is due to Magento NEEDING to set a cookie, and set session values to a user whenit performs certain tasks. 

Ive looked through the code, and from what i can see fixing this involves a decent amount of core file changes (im talking core-core files, such as core/url.php) which is not something I have the time to do.  So the workaround is as posted above, use a wget command to load the web-page through your webserver, rather than only through PHP.  This allows the server to accept/create session variables, which is what is causing the bugs.

So as said above, the solution is to call the gron job using a command similar to:

wget -q --spider http://mywebsite.com/cron.php

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2