Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
SEO and duplicate content

Jase007
Guru

Total Posts:  388

Hi,

To disable the url without category go to use categories path for product URLs Just set it to NO.

Hope this will help you !!

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

carlosrob4

Total Posts:  67

Use the following free extension that resolve URL issues on ecommerce websites, you will be able to select which version of URL should be used for SEO automatically or manually.

Free Magento Canonical URLs extension

Magento Community
Magento Community

ScommerceMage

Total Posts:  103
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

Here is the other module which allows you to have one unique product URL across your web store. This is must have extension for Magento.

http://www.scommerce-mage.co.uk/magento-extensions/magento-seo-catalog-urls.html

Here are the main features of this module-:

- One primary category for products which are there in multiple categories.
- Permanent redirects (301) if you explicitly remove category path from the URL
- Permanent redirects (301) if you explicitly add non-primary category in the URL
- Primary category will be used in the URL for each and every section of the store including cross sells, up sells, relative products, basket link, search, advance search etc.
- It also resolves duplicate content issue problem for your site as search engines will find one unique url for each product instead of multiple urls
-This module can be completely disabled whenever required via system configuration in admin

Kind Regards
Scommerce Mage

Magento Community
Magento Community

bruscky

Total Posts:  24
London, UK

Search Engines Optimization SEO for Magento http://www.web111.co.uk/magento-how-to/magento-seo.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

peter_p98

Total Posts:  1

chatlumo - 08 December 2008 04:53 PM

Hello,

I’m using “Use categories path for product URLs” to “yes” to have product urls with the name of categories.
But the issue i that now i have 2 URLs for the same product :
- url of the product without category name
- url of the product with category name

So is it possible to disable the URL without category name because now i have duplicate content and Google doesn’t like that.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Hi there, have the same issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

chatlumo - 08 December 2008 04:53 PM

Hello,

I’m using “Use categories path for product URLs” to “yes” to have product urls with the name of categories.
But the issue i that now i have 2 URLs for the same product :
- url of the product without category name
- url of the product with category name

So is it possible to disable the URL without category name because now i have duplicate content and Google doesn’t like that.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Hello, if it is still relevant, I want to offer you our new extension: http://amasty.com/magento-unique-product-url.html, that does exactly what you need. The module lets you choose one URL for each product placed in multiple categories and avoid duplicate content.

Please visit the Unique Product URL page to see the live demo and a user guide.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roger_peterson

Total Posts:  2
India

Canonical tag is very much helpful for E commerce website because it has many product variant. So through canonical tag is useful to tell search engines which single page for all the product variant should index and display in SERP.

Magento provides canonical tags as an default functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

christinavick
Guru

Total Posts:  355

Hello ,

You can also check our this service SEO Services For Magento

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community

FmeAddons

Total Posts:  123
USA

You can add canonical tags to remove the content duplication issue, Try this FREE canonicals URL extension that places canonical tags automatically in product page and let you to decide for which URL you want to rank? i.e with or without category?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

BTW, you can find out more info about duplicate content and the ways to remove it in this post http://blog.amasty.com/an-extensive-guide-on-magento-duplicate-content/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

BTW, you can find out more information about duplicate content and the ways to remove it in this post http://blog.amasty.com/an-extensive-guide-on-magento-duplicate-content/

Magento Community
Magento Community

christinavick
Guru

Total Posts:  355

Hi,

You can check this thread for help http://ilovemage.com/seo-services-for-magento-stores/powerful-recurring-monthly-seo-packages-for-magento-stores.html

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2