Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Invalid category

Flaxion

Total Posts:  60

Hi. Under CMS > Pages > home (my frontpage), I have typed following:
<h1>Velkommen til Fremshoppen</h1>
{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="3"
template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

but when I go to my website, it comes with a long error message that in the top says that the category is invalid. wtf??
The only way I can make the error disappear, is to change the id="3" to a number of category that doesn’t exist.. And if I then create a new category, let’s say that I have changed the ID to 4, and then create a new category which have the ID-no 4, then the error appears again.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Flaxion

Total Posts:  60

Okay I actually think I got it now rasberry

um.. I just changed the root category under business administration.

Magento Community
Magento Community

artisanmg

Total Posts:  1

Hello, I’m getting the exact same error you are. Could you please in more detail specify how you got rid of this issue? I’m having trouble displaying categories on my homepage and it is very frustrating. Thank you in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Al Capone

Total Posts:  4

I’m having this problem too, can someone please please please help, it would be a life saver, please tell me what you did.

thanks in advance!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Al Capone

Total Posts:  4

Flaxion - 08 December 2008 04:55 PM

Okay I actually think I got it now rasberry

um.. I just changed the root category under business administration.

to elaborate on his solution, you need to go to system -> manage stores

click on your store and change the root category from whatever it is to the root category for your site… basically, it was set to another category or no category at all because you deleted or are not using the default root… im amazed no one else was able to just tell us this, it wasnt rocket science, i’m new here but the support forum seems pretty nonsupporting… but hey, hope my post helps you guys smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dx3webs

Total Posts:  178

thnaks for this after trying a windows app that manages your database i got the dreaded “invalid category” response including the hint
Mage::throwException(’Invalid categor...’)

and sure enough the default category had been wiped.

this fixed it

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community