Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Moving the ‘Shop By’ element to the right

K3NJIRO

Total Posts:  6

Hello everyone!

What am I trying to do, without any success, is what the title actually says.

How can I move the whole ‘Shop By’ element on the right site of my sight. Consider it blank or default… and I should take it from there.

Thanks in advance,
Kenjiro

PS: I have read other topics with the same problem, but I have found nothing that could help me, and any modifications I had made had no result.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

As is oft said - read the design guide!

The navigation is a block that is defined in the xml files to be where it is.

Select a store view and in admin enable template hints. This will now show what block is what in your store.

Now you can edit the underlying xml in the layout folder knowing what layout blocks you are wanting to re-jig.

Magento Community
Magento Community

K3NJIRO

What do you mean by that? I can’t move only one element? I need to move more than one block?

Magento Community
Magento Community

K3NJIRO

Look, I have been trying all day the same thing I have tried yesterday, and btw, I have read the whole design guide, but I just can’t find the suitable blocks.

Being my first post, I really didn’t expect no help, and only other insignificant hints which I have already been through, but anyway, thanks for the help.

Maybe someone else could tell me, which blocks do I have to move or where to look for them (which .xml), and why nothing happens when I change the ‘referece name’ into ‘right’ in catalog.xml.

Thanks again, in advance
Kenjiro

PS: right now I am talking about a fresh installed version of Magento with sample data.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

In the ‘catalog.xml’, look for

<!--
Category default layout
-->

<
catalog_category_default>
      <
reference name="left">
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>
                     </
reference>

change “ <reference name="left">" to “right”

then in the

<!--
Category layered navigation layout
-->

<
catalog_category_layered>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
block type="catalog/layer_view" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/>

change “ <reference name="left">" to “right” again.

To find your way inside Magento, It’s helpful to turn on “template path hints”

Magento Community
Magento Community

K3NJIRO

I know about template hints, thanks!

Trust me, I’ve tried what you have just said, and it didn’t work. It doesn’t work. It’s the first thing I’ve tried because among other posts about this kind of replacement, I had found yours and thought it to be 100% effective. I was wrong.

Thanks again, but this, unfortunatelly is not the solution as I can’t see anything being moved.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

remember to clean your cache yet?

No need to throw your frustration on us, especially if you want help. Almost everyone who sticks long enough with Magento on this forum have gone through the frustration.  If thing works for us and we suggested you do the same which doesn’t work, then it must be something you didn’t do it right or you have missed important steps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

K3NJIRO

Hey, there’s no frustration here. Maybe it’s the cache as you have just said. The fact that I have managed to move certain blocks (newsletter/tags/… etc) to whole different places seems makes this simple operation (appearently simple operation) seem very complicated… and I don’t really know why…

Magento Community
Magento Community

K3NJIRO

Yep! Cache management was the key! Thanks!

Solution: do what <chinesedream> says in his post, and make sure you have disabled cache in cache management in admin!

Best regards,
Kenjiro

PS: Many thanks to chinesedream smile!

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Glad it works.

Yup, Cache management gave many people grief. I was one who went through it. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community