Magento Forum

Could people post what hosts they are with and have successfully installed the Magento

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

There is a reference post to Magento hosting providers here - http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Magento-Web-Hosting/

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

thanks Roy, yes I saw that. I don’t want freebie (:P) and the Nexcess is too pricey for my needs, and Poland is too far away that may suffer hiccup grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

no problem - I am sure you’ll get some responses.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

chinesedream,
Are you looking for shared or hosting or a dedicated machine?

Shared Hosting:  http://www.surpasshosting.com I’d recommend
Dedicated:  gigenet.com/theplanet.com,serverbeach.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Nick, thanks for the recommendation.

My problem was solved yesterday: thanks to Andre’s help to test my (mt) server out, I learned from him that I could actually connect a database from another server. Finally have the Magento installed on my server with a database (mysql 4.1.2) connected from a client’s server. It’s good for testing, for now.

Still, I think it’s good to see a list of webhosts that are fully compatible with Magento’s system requirement, so that when this sweet baby is ready for live site, some less server savvy web designers don’t need to go through this installation madness again on client(s)’ servers and can conformtably recommend them which webhosts to choose from. I know I certainly can benefit from this.

Thank you Roy and the entire Magento team for giving us such a wonderful (free) product: with a bit of creativity and a quick instinct on business (I see some already on the right track offering Magento’s services), Magento can help our business leap to the next level.

tgp

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

Glad to hear you got everything worked out! Congrats!

Magento Community
Magento Community

beazleybub

Total Posts:  28

I successfully installed on godaddy.com but had to use php5-cgi work around because godaddy is not up to speed on php.

Never the less, I got magento installed and working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

My GoDaddy server (virtual dedicated) lacks the MySQL version to have access through MySQLi, so I have not been successful in installing it with godaddy.com.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

Brandon - 07 September 2007 01:10 PM

My GoDaddy server (virtual dedicated) lacks the MySQL version to have access through MySQLi, so I have not been successful in installing it with godaddy.com.

if i remember correctly they upgrade that upon request (its been a while since ive dealt with godaddy)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

From what I’ve been told many many times now, they will not upgrade anything on a virtual dedicated server.  They require that the owner of the server do it themselves.  Recently they started offering an assisted dedicated server, but you lose SSH access, and they have no migration path from an existing server—they want you to do that yourself too.

But I don’t want to hi jack this thread and flame GoDaddy :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

cpetrauskas

Total Posts:  6
Portland, Oregon, USA

For dedicated hosting I couldn’t be more enthusiastic about Rackspace.

http://www.rackspace.com/

We have a LAMP box with them. Their support people are incredibly proactive.

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

My experience with Rackspace Support was the worst, ever! Their sales team even stunk, didn’t seem interested in my business at all… they’re just too busy to care about us. I can’t say the experience will be the same for you, but on epinions the company only has 3 stars (2 one-star, 1 two-star, and 2 five-star reviews). I guess they’re hit and miss.

That being said, I did pursue a MAX VPS from Nexcess. Their support is probably the best I’ve ever experienced in a host, that coming from someone who has been through more than (off the top of my head) 15 hosts, and investigated at least three times as many. My Nexcess VPS is actually cheaper than the other one I’ve been using, and much easier to use. Plus, with their servers being located about 30 miles north of me, it’s a pretty fast connection. Magento installed without a hitch. (I made sure they loaded it with all the necessities.) cool smirk

Magento Community
Magento Community

Primary Numbers

Total Posts:  17

Ok I have two Rackspace boxes after hosting with many many other hosts in the past, Rackspace is so superior to other host in every area (especially customer service). I could not disagree with the last comment more.  I’ve had rackspace people call me at 3am to alert me to a possible problem and to let me know they are solving it.  Additionally I have Magento running great on my rackspace box.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

As I said, with Rackspace it seems to be hit and miss. I personally wouldn’t recommend them myself. But anyone who is looking into them as a potential host, if you have any doubts after dealing with the sales/service rep abort!

But I’m not saying that you will have a bad experience with them. I did, and that’s what I’m basing my info on. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

jlaha

Total Posts:  12

For the advanced users here, I wrote a guide last night on how to get Magento working with Slicehost on Ubuntu using a completely fresh slice.

Installing Magento on Slicehost with Ubuntu

I love Slicehost as I like to be entirely in control of every aspect of my server.

Thanks,

Jonathan L.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community