Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrade 1.4.2 to 1.5.0.1 causes hang on visiting site

Paul Whipp

Total Posts:  48

I ran the upgrade and then went to the store (I’ve rewound and gone to both admin and the home page with the same result):

The site just loops and never comes up.

Turning on mysql logging and inspecting the sql logs (after noticing that the server is sitting running mysql and doing little else) -
~ $ sed -n 57199,57210p /var/log/mysql/mysql.log
2993 Query UPDATE `core_resource` SET `code` = ‘catalog_setup’, `version` = ‘1.4.0.0.44’ WHERE (code=’catalog_setup’)
2993 Query UPDATE `core_resource` SET `code` = ‘catalog_setup’, `version` = ‘1.4.0.0.44’ WHERE (code=’catalog_setup’)
2993 Query SHOW INDEX FROM `sales_flat_order`
2993 Query ALTER TABLE `sales_flat_order` DROP KEY `IDX_INCREMENT_ID`
110912 11:44:47 2993 Query DESCRIBE `sales_flat_order`
2993 Query SHOW INDEX FROM `sales_flat_order`
2993 Query ALTER TABLE `sales_flat_order` ADD UNIQUE `UNQ_INCREMENT_ID` (`increment_id`)
110912 11:44:48 2993 Query SELECT COUNT(*) as `cnt` FROM `sales_flat_order` WHERE increment_id=’100002215’
2993 Query DELETE FROM `sales_flat_order` WHERE increment_id=’100002215’ LIMIT 0
2993 Query ALTER TABLE `sales_flat_order` ADD UNIQUE `UNQ_INCREMENT_ID` (`increment_id`)
110912 11:44:49 2993 Query SELECT COUNT(*) as `cnt` FROM `sales_flat_order` WHERE increment_id=’100002215’
2993 Query DELETE FROM `sales_flat_order` WHERE increment_id=’100002215’ LIMIT 0

The last three lines just repeat endlessly until I kill the processes. I’ll keep investigating but I would love to know if anybody has seen something like this and perhaps has a solution.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DavidAlger

Total Posts:  29

The site is not looping, it is running the automatic upgrade scripts that must be allowed to run to completion just once in order to operate correctly. Without letting these run, the database tables will not have the correct schemas in order for the updated code base to work with it.

My suggesting would be to block all requests except your own from reaching the site until the single request you have put in to the site finishes, and thus the database get’s fully upgraded.

There is no other “workaround”

HTH,
David A.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul Whipp

Total Posts:  48

Its a local server with no other queries running.

Its clearly looping as illustrated by the logs. The same call is being repeated endlessly resulting in the same three sql messages. I left it running the first time so I have five hours of the same three lines repeated over and over again.

I don’t know why its looping and its preventing the update from completing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

violins

Total Posts:  8

Did you solve this issue?
I have the same looping problem. I tried to upgrade from 1.4.1 to 1.6.0 yesterday, and today my website was disconnected by my webhost, as a constant flow of ALTER TABLE queries were slowing down their servers and causing problems for other clients (shared hosting downer ) . Does anyone know what causes this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MichalL

Total Posts:  14
Kraków

Here is the answer:
www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/221281/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community