Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to set up Skin (Callout) changes for a client

Paul R Burton

Total Posts:  25

For the past week, I’ve been working with Magento and I can report that the templating system is as otherworldly complicated as I have read in all the reviews of the platform.  Skinning a site and manipulating templates should not be this complicated.

I’ve gotten a basic Magento impletmentation skinned to “fit” a site design as closely as possible.  I’ve also been able to figure out with the help of a few very good threads how to get featured images to appear on the home page (why is this simple feature so damned hard?). 

I’ve also been able to suppress the “ad” Callouts that appear in the left and right columns on the Home page.  However, this is where I am lost.

How do I set up a system that will allow my client to swap out ad callouts when they choose?  At this time, I can find no detailed explanation how to “skin a site for the holidays” or “create specials callouts” that does NOT involve some degree of hard-coding or FTP?  A CMS is not a CMS if it requires coding knowledge.

So, my basic question is:  Is there a way to create a means by which clients can EASILY swap out the CALLOUTS and home page ad banners when they choose? For holidays or special promotions?

If there is: 
1. What is the detailed step-by-step approach from the development side?  and,
2. What is the resulting process on the client side?

If this isn’t clear, please let me know and I’ll try to be more concise. 
Thanks, P

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

See this thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/17933/

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community