Magento Forum

Payment Systems and Shipping setup. 

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Before I go on Id like to congratulate Magento (Team) on their brave foot steps in to the e-commerce world. I think they have made a valiant attempt to ease customer experiences on line. Just dont forget the shop owner he/she need spiece of mind too lol;)

Now for my thoughts.
Im an old oscommerce cut and paste warrior ( i have the scars) and Ive gained a massive amount of experience through my 4 year old online shop with over 50 mods and Ive gone grey..
A few of us have held back and watched whats unfolded with this , potentially , great product.
I think Magento may have not closely at what oscommerce did (in the past) to make it so popular. Im sure the majority of oscommerce users will migrate here (as im hoping to do) Once Magento comes up to speed.

A few suggestions:
1. It is without question a mistake to not have paypal standard as the first setup dealing with Paypal. 80% of users using paypal use Paypal standard. Payments pro should be brought in later as this is a more difficult system to plug into (as we are all seeing) A lot of us are looking in on this fundemental mistake a wondering why such an obvious omission. Running before one can walk comes to mind.
The other basic payments , like 2CO,Nochex, etc aren’t built in to the initial release either. This is one of the reasons why oscommerce took off.
The basic setup ran straight away (all be it, not being pretty);) Its now in the decline due to many other systems coming forward to take a share.

Ive come across constant requests for the basic and other FREE payment systems but I feel this isnt being taken seriously enough as it should be in the latest update, for us all to beta test.

Again , Magento Team are pulling out miracles and I felt I should say something as these guys need good strong advice so as to be around a LOOOOOOONG time.  Im sure I speak for others when I say , ecommerce systems are a serious game. alot of companies and employees rely on these systems to do 2 basic functions, Sell products and take payment. Now if We cant take payment, then its useless, no matter how beautiful and functional it is. Magento must cater for the majority in its first hit.
I dont see this in your Road map (Paypal standard and other free systems) even though there are countless posts and promises, that some time in the future it will be included.

Shipping:
Hmmmmm, for some reason the same problem has repeated itself.

Concentrate on basic manual table rate and then bring in the big guns later eg.’ DHL FEDEX etc. ( problems in implementation for a lot of people)
There are no Zones eg A=europe B = usa C= Asia etc..
Zones have been Tried and tested with all other clones of Oscommerce and also Virtuemart and others. The Csv update system for shipping is , well words fail me as there are only a few examples (for the USA) in the CSV doc. There are between 120 - 240 countries in the world with weight seperations x5 (estimate) Remeber Ecommerce is for the world.. The system fails badly due to sensativity in even the spacing (in excel) and even in notepad. It would take years to input all countries (in correct format) and the theres no way it will upload unless your extremely lucky. I have mine working but cant see myself updating this…

To summarize the system you release should start with basic WOrKING system. I think everything else looks great ( I have a running Magento site (visually modded) View here
I hope Magento focuses on getting payment systems and shipping ironed out. i think over complicating systems can end in tears.  After all that though these guys have produced something quite special.

Now for my programming question: Are there any tutorials on how to create your own EXTERNAL payment module? Can I modify authorize.net to do my bidding?

Thanks GREAT JOB…

Rule of any type of design...K.I.S.S. Keep . IT. Simple. Stupid.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks very much for your comments! We sincerely appreciate your feedback. I’ve commented below on some items:

1. It is without question a mistake to not have paypal standard as the first setup dealing with Paypal. 80% of users using paypal use Paypal standard. Payments pro should be brought in later as this is a more difficult system to plug into (as we are all seeing) A lot of us are looking in on this fundemental mistake a wondering why such an obvious omission. Running before one can walk comes to mind.

This is coming very soon within the next few weeks. It will be available in time for the production release.

The other basic payments , like 2CO,Nochex, etc aren’t built in to the initial release either. This is one of the reasons why oscommerce took off.
The basic setup ran straight away (all be it, not being pretty);) Its now in the decline due to many other systems coming forward to take a share.

This is a valid point. Magento’s initial release is not an end-point but rather a starting point in terms of features and functionality. We could have certainly delayed the release and spent time developing further payment integration. We chose against this in hopes of an earlier release and giving the community the opportunity to contribute and take part. I expect support for the gateways you mentioned shortly after Magento’s initial release developed by us and/or the community.

Ive come across constant requests for the basic and other FREE payment systems but I feel this isnt being taken seriously enough as it should be in the latest update, for us all to beta test.

Rest assured that payment integration is critical for us. We are well aware of the players in the market and look forward to supporting as many gateways as possible.

Are there any tutorials on how to create your own EXTERNAL payment module? Can I modify authorize.net to do my bidding?

Here’s a good start on the wiki - http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to:create-payment-method-module

Thanks again for the feedback!

Magento Community
Magento Community

netstralogy

Total Posts:  29

Concentrate on basic manual table rate and then bring in the big guns later eg.’ DHL FEDEX etc. ( problems in implementation for a lot of people)
There are no Zones eg A=europe B = usa C= Asia etc..
Zones have been Tried and tested with all other clones of Oscommerce and also Virtuemart and others. The Csv update system for shipping is , well words fail me as there are only a few examples (for the USA) in the CSV doc. There are between 120 - 240 countries in the world with weight seperations x5 (estimate) Remeber Ecommerce is for the world..

I agree with this.  One of the most important feature of ecommerce is shipping method and having a good shipping feature is one of the first things that businesses look for.  This is how businesses are able to ship and charge for products effectively. 

I praise the Magento team for developing a well-structured product.  Magento is quite easy to set-up and easy for most people to build a site without much development knowledge.  However, it seems that they’ve missed features from a business prospective.  I’m pretty sure one of the first things most businesses would want is to be able to set accurate Sales Tax, charge for shipping effectively and incorporate Payment Methods easily.  After all, the purpose of an ecommerce site is to move products. 

I’m looking at the roadmap and I’m dissappointed to see that improved Shipping Method is not in the list as I’m sure this is one of the main things that most businesses look for.

I hope the Magento team will put priority on these features.  Magento is a great product and I’m looking forward to seeing future developments.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rizvan Vadia

Total Posts:  4
Ahmedabad

We are using VPS from go dady. Hosing many sites including Magento and Wordpress. We are facing the this memory limit issue since long time. I did try all the setting mentioned in this tread for php.ini but still unable to solve it. It displays blank screen in admin time to time. Another strange this is it is not logging any error in system.log or exepsion.log.

Can any one give correct solution. Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community